• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock wheeling near Whidbey

Ra-kez

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the PNW and right now I have a stock xj. Are there any trails in Walker Valley a stock rig can go and have an enjoyable time? Something besides just dirt roads? I live on Whidbey, any info would be awesome. Thanks

Hey thanks a lot, the pics make it look pretty crazy. I'd like to go at the end of March, but I may not be around for it...work. Thanks again.

I used to go out near Quilcene a lot, particularly to the Mud bogs and the power lines, if you know where i'm talking about. As far as the mud bogs, no stock anything can get through them, but the power line road is really fun, and would only present a couple challenges for a stock.

But as he said, don't go alone, even though it's a 2 hour drive from Bellevue to get out there, i'd be more than happy to hop the pond

KarlVP said:
A stock XJ can make 75% of the trails at Walker look like childs play.

In the summer time maybe, but this time of year I wouldnt recomend it. Just ask the guy that showed up to the clean up in the stocker. There Really isnt anythign I know of on the islands or close to Oak harbor. Are you stationed at NAS Whidbey?

If you are interested you are more than welcome to ride along next time I go to Walker just to get a feel for it and see if its somewhere you would feel comfortable bringing your rig.

Thanks. I'll have to look into the Quilcene area, I haven't heard of it.
Yeah I'm stationed at NAS Whidbey, just came from Jax, and before that MD, I think tagging along would be a great idea. Just sometimes work can be a bit unpredictable. Thanks again.

KarlVP said:
A stock XJ can make 75% of the trails at Walker look like childs play.
What trails were you on? :dunno:

The several trails we did the last time there were nearly the equal of Evans creek and in some spots more difficult. A few people who are experienced wheelers with well-built rigs had their fair share of difficulty getting through.

A stock XJ did try to follow us part of the way; it didn't have a single straight body panel afterwards and only got about 35 feet up one trail before heading out:

f641.jpg

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
What trails were you on? :dunno:

The several trails we did the last time there were nearly the equal of Evans creek and in some spots more difficult. A few people who are experienced wheelers with well-built rigs had their fair share of difficulty getting through.

A stock XJ did try to follow us part of the way; it didn't have a single straight body panel afterwards and only got about 35 feet up one trail before heading out:

-----Matt-----

Learn how to drive.

If you take a daisy fresh rookie on a trail ride and he or she tried to follow the "big boys" through the hard stuff, said individual is gonna get thier collective ass kicked.

Where I am from, when it comes to noobs, either the trail is super easy, or someone rides with or spots most of the time.

Most noobs I know don't like beating on thier rigs. Even a little body damage is not cool. And if they aren't comfortable, tell them to back off and/or turn around.

PS. Learn how to drive.

EDIT: We had a guy in a stock Izuzu trooper out with us last weekend. 0 body damage. And when he got into trouble, instead of wailing on his rig, he stopped, got out and asked for help. Last time I checked Izuzus are bigger than XJ's.

Last edited:
KarlVP said:
Learn how to drive.
Okay...? Should I get out the photos of me making it through goal-post and the rock face at Walker...where you couldn't make it? :D

KarlVP said:
If you take a daisy fresh rookie on a trail ride and he or she tried to follow the "big boys" through the hard stuff, said individual is gonna get thier collective ass kicked.

Where I am from, when it comes to noobs, either the trail is super easy, or someone rides with or spots most of the time.

Most noobs I know don't like beating on thier rigs. Even a little body damage is not cool. And if they aren't comfortable, tell them to back off and/or turn around.
The guy wasn't with our group, he just showed up randomly. We told him he shouldn't be on these trails, but didn't listen and went off on his own. We found what was left of his rig in the parking lot, just to clarify.

KarlVP said:
PS. Learn how to drive.
Thanks. I understand you have a lot of experience, but that doesn't mean nobody else is a capable driver.

My question was genuine. What trails were you on? The ones we did at Walker would not have been suitable for a stock vehicle, I don't care who is driving.

-----Matt-----

P.S. Would you teach me how to drive?

walker7.jpg

IXNAYXJ said:
Okay...? Should I get out the photos of me making it through goal-post and the rock face at Walker...where you couldn't make it? :D

The guy wasn't with our group, he just showed up randomly. We told him he shouldn't be on these trails, but didn't listen and went off on his own. We found what was left of his rig in the parking lot, just to clarify.

Thanks. I understand you have a lot of experience, but that doesn't mean nobody else is a capable driver.

My question was genuine. What trails were you on? The ones we did at Walker would not have been suitable for a stock vehicle, I don't care who is driving.

-----Matt-----

P.S. Would you teach me how to drive?

I didn't take his statement as directed at you, ya farking drama queen. :D

I think he meant that as a general statement. Pulled out of context, sure, you could take offense to it...but I didn't think that was the case here. :cheers: We might have to call you 'Jump to Conclusions Matt'. :laugh3:

Tom Smykowski said:
It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

ngbbs3c48f1755fcfb.jpg

ECKSJAY said:
I didn't take his statement as directed at you, ya farking drama queen. :D
I don't see how you could take it any other way...seeing as he quoted my original post, and was referring to things I said. :dunno:

I'm not really concerned about it, I've met Karl and he's a cool guy; I have a suspicion there was some alcohol involved in his response, though.

I do like the "Jump to conlisions Matt," Phil. If I ever change from "IXNAYXJ," though I'll switch to "Haz-Matt." Most people request a Haz-Mat suit before getting in my rig. :D

-----Matt-----

I do like the "Jump to conlisions Matt," Phil. If I ever change from "IXNAYXJ," though I'll switch to "Haz-Matt." Most people request a Haz-Mat suit before getting in my rig.

Note to self bring tyvek suit when if ever riding with Matt.:looney:

Sean

I will be heading up to Whidbey in June. Bringing a bone stock 97 XJ with. Going to be building it over the next two yrs for my sons 16th.

I had an 89 XJ (only 3 inch lift) last time I was in WA, living over in Port Orchard.

Swabe~

macs97XJ said:
I will be heading up to Whidbey in June. Bringing a bone stock 97 XJ with. Going to be building it over the next two yrs for my sons 16th.

I had an 89 XJ (only 3 inch lift) last time I was in WA, living over in Port Orchard.

Swabe~

Sweet! Welcome back. When are you coming awn up?

Back