• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power/Comfort button related to 4WD?

burningslow

NAXJA Forum User
I have an '87 Wagoneer that has been 'stuck' in 4WD for the last two months.. pretty amazing that nothing I tried would get it out, even though the lights all indicated that I wasn't in four wheel - you could tell every time you turned the Jeep into a corner, front wheels would bind up. This is the thing, I was playing around with that button that says power/comfort (which this whole time I believed was only a fuel efficiency kind of thing) and now it's suddenly back in 2WD. Does anyone know if this button is supposed to be used for problems like this? Does it open a vacuum or something that engages the axle or similar? I really need help figuring this one out!

power/comfort switch changes your shift points. h.o. rigs are set so that they are always in "power" and don't have that option. since i still run stock gearing and 33's, i keep it in power and always in 3rd not drive. one day when i'm rich and switch axles and regear than i might actually care to see if comfort is where it's at.

Are you sure it's stuck in 4WD? If the only symptom is wheels seeming to bind up on turns, I would check for binding axle universal joints.

Assuming that this is a part time (NP231) transfer case, on an 87 there are actually two things that happen when you shift between 2 and 4. One is that the transfer case itself is directly shifted by the lever, and the other is that a vacuum motor in the front axle engages and disengages the right hand axle shaft.

Although it's possible for the whole system to jam in 4WD, especially if your tires are mismatched, it will almost always pop out as soon as you stop or reverse. For a first check, with all wheels on the ground and the transfer case in 2WD, get underneath and try turning the front driveshaft. If it turns, the transfer case is not in 4WD, and the axle is disengaged, and you should look for your binding elsewhere. If it does not turn, jack up one of the front wheels. If it now turns, then your transfer case is in 2WD but your axle is not disengaged. If it still does not turn at all, then the transfer case is indeed stuck in 4WD.

Back