• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK, tranny is shot, what would you do?

anony91xj

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 1987 XJ, 4.0, 4WD, stock.

The Frenchie Peugeot tranny finally crapped out. It's toasted. I just need to get it fixed without spending a fortune, I'm not really looking to upgrade unless it's easier or cheaper. I'd prefer to expend as little effort as possible because I'm one lazy mofo.

My question is this. What is the best option? I have access to a Borg-Warner T5 from a 4-cylinder wrangler, but that doesn't have a hole in the bellhousing for the crankshaft sensor. Anyone know how to make this work? This would be the cheapest option, therefore it'd be my first choice if possible.

I could swap in an AX15 (they seem to be available in junkyards), but is it a direct bolt-in or will I need a new transfer case? If I will need a transfer case, will a 242 out of a 1992 XJ with the automatic fit? The other downside is that the junkyard trannies dont come with shifters, and the dealership wants more for the shifter than the yards want for the whole trans. I've got a couple yards I do business with looking for a shifter for me, so maybe that'll pan out and this will be the option I choose.

Another option is just getting a used Peugeot and bolting it in. Anyone got one for sale cheap?

Finally, rebuilding the current Peugeot is a last resort. I'm too lazy for this kind of crap, and I have NO idea where I'd find parts, but if it's the only option I'll have to do it.

Thanks

Last edited:
going through the same thing in my YJ the ax15 would need a 23 spline t-case and the Puker uses a 21 so you would need them both to do the swap and the cross member is difernt as well

dzraces said:
going through the same thing in my YJ the ax15 would need a 23 spline t-case and the Puker uses a 21 so you would need them both to do the swap and the cross member is difernt as well

Well I have a 242 Tcase out of a 1992 AW4 XJ, it needs rebuilding but I can do that if necessary.

I didn't know the crossmember was different as well. What's different about it?...or is it only different in the YJ? Also, will the AX15 work with the Peugeot clutch (same input splines)? I just replaced the clutch a few months ago, it'd bother me to have to buy a whole new one now.

Sounds like it'd be easier (if possible) to find an old Peugeot and just throw it in...

I'm with you on ONLY putting a Peugeot as a last resort.. My brother had to rebuild his Peugeot tranny twice...

I don't know of any other options.. just wanted to back you in up on your thoughts about getting rid of the Peugeot.

Elias
Eh-lee-us

tranny is shot, what would you do?

I had pukegoat re-built. The tranny shop gave me a lifetime warranty. Also flatbedded rig to shop.

If I could do it all over again AX-15 W/External slave cyl. would be a good choice but the best would be NV3550

Re: tranny is shot, what would you do?

EliasJ123 said:
I'm with you on ONLY putting a Peugeot as a last resort.. My brother had to rebuild his Peugeot tranny twice...

I don't know of any other options.. just wanted to back you in up on your thoughts about getting rid of the Peugeot.

Elias
Eh-lee-us

I personally don't have all that much of a problem with the Peugeot. With the exception of some clunky shifting (what do you expect from an old row-your-own SUV?), this is the first problem I've had with the tranny itself. The slave cylinder went, but I've seen that happen on just about everything with a hydraulic clutch eventually. I don't wheel much or beat the hell out of the Jeep, and the tranny did last 20 years as it is. I've heard on the Internet that it's absolute crap though...so if an upgrade is affordable and doesn't require a whole lot of modification I'll do it now.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
I had pukegoat re-built. The tranny shop gave me a lifetime warranty. Also flatbedded rig to shop.

If I could do it all over again AX-15 W/External slave cyl. would be a good choice but the best would be NV3550

I'll be doing the work myself as I've got a whole shop at my disposal, but that's interesting. I'd LOVE to find a tranny shop around me that offers more than about a 12month/12k mile warranty on their work.

External slave would definitely be a plus, what years did the AX15 use them? I know the AX15 and Peugeot of the 80s and early 90s use the same internal slave cylinder with different steel lines, but I didn't know they switched over to an external slave at some point.

I have a feeling that an NV3550 would be expensive, and probably unnecessary as I don't wheel all that much, if at all anymore, and the only thing that's not stock on the XJ is the 235/75-15 M/T tires.

anony91xj said:
External slave would definitely be a plus, what years did the AX15 use them? I know the AX15 and Peugeot of the 80s and early 90s use the same internal slave cylinder with different steel lines, but I didn't know they switched over to an external slave at some point.

I have a feeling that an NV3550 would be expensive, and probably unnecessary as I don't wheel all that much, if at all anymore, and the only thing that's not stock on the XJ is the 235/75-15 M/T tires.

I believe it's external 93' and later

The shifter on an AX-15 is an integral part of the tranny.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
I believe it's external 93' and later

95 or later AX15 have the external slaves.

Just stay away from French Trannys. There is a tone of info on putting in a AX15. You would have to take your Tcase apart and put a new input shaft in to mach the AX15, 23 spline, where yours is 21. You will have to make a choice. Do you want a bolt in French tranny or do you want cheaper and better (AX15). Another option is to put in a Auto. I know a guy who put one in about 1 days worth of work. He told me the hard part was putting in new pedals. I'm getting ready for the same swap. Just have to choose from the 5 speed or the auto.

azranger said:

Just stay away from French Trannys. There is a tone of info on putting in a AX15. You would have to take your Tcase apart and put a new input shaft in to mach the AX15, 23 spline, where yours is 21. You will have to make a choice. Do you want a bolt in French tranny or do you want cheaper and better (AX15). Another option is to put in a Auto. I know a guy who put one in about 1 days worth of work. He told me the hard part was putting in new pedals. I'm getting ready for the same swap. Just have to choose from the 5 speed or the auto.

That's DEFINITELY a good option that I like. I'd LOVE to make mine an auto, but I'd think that the swap would be more involved. Wouldn't I need a TCU, wiring harness, etc...? Also, why bother swapping the pedals? I'd probably just leave the clutch pedal hanging and not use it anymore.

Well, it looks like I'll be forced to screw with the Tcase regardless, unless I get another Peugeot.

Anyway, if you could get me some details on all that's involved in an AW4 swap that'd be great. Thanks dude.

anony91xj said:
That's DEFINITELY a good option that I like. I'd LOVE to make mine an auto, but I'd think that the swap would be more involved. Wouldn't I need a TCU, wiring harness, etc...? Also, why bother swapping the pedals? I'd probably just leave the clutch pedal hanging and not use it anymore.

Well, it looks like I'll be forced to screw with the Tcase regardless, unless I get another Peugeot.

Anyway, if you could get me some details on all that's involved in an AW4 swap that'd be great. Thanks dude.

PM Rockwerks about it. He was telling me the swap was easy and when it comes to the computer stuff it plugs in. The only thing I’m not sure about is the button that controls the shift points on the autos. He showed me one that he did in about a day. It looked good and he told me it takes about the same amount of time to do the AX15 swap. He would be the best for the info, but this is what he told me.

You will have to swap out the clutch for a flex plate and the interior will need a new panel (if you can find one from the junk yard you will save $), but you will not have to adjust the hole in the floor. The cross member needs to be moved back 4", but the holes are already there you just have to tap them for the bolts. The brackets for the tcas linkage are the same and I'm sure you can leave the pedals.

I too I'm getting ready to swap out the Peugeot I just need to find a good trany for cheap and I will go from there. Leaning towards the auto tranny, but who knows.

It's a 87 if you got the Cherokee new or put a lot of miles. The Peugeot is a fine trany for your driving habits. A rebuilt would out last the rest of the Jeep as long as you don't intend to beat harder on her.
I myself just don't trust ANYTHING french. But that's just me.
A bone yard trany would most likely be your cheapest fix. Just don't get it from a Jeep that has been wheeled or modified to wheel.:)
I would also think about a fresh clutch at the same time. If it has lot of miles on it.

Last edited:

azranger said:

It's at least '94 or later for the external slave as my '94 is external. But I seem to recall that the '93 does have the external slave as well. It's really just a matter of the bellhousing.

Wounded XJ said:
The only thing I’m not sure about is the button that controls the shift points on the autos.

If you get a TCU from a 1992-1995 you won't need to worry about it. They were wired for the 'power' setting from the factory. I'm not sure a 1996-and up tranny would work well; I believe the TCU and OBD II computer talk to each other, but I'm not very OBD II savvy.

:)

Back