• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

info on putting an 89 motor in a 99??

razorbackxj

NAXJA Forum User
I wrecked my 89 jeep last year and had just put 3,000 into the motor. Its a stroker and is super strong. My 99 has super high mileage and was wandering if it was at all possible to accomplish this swap and what might be needed??? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Swap over all accessories, manifolds, sensors and distributor from the 99. The temperature sensor in the back of the head and the knock sensor will not be used. The manifolds will not mate up exactly, but they will work. I ran a non-HO head on my 96 and the manifolds did mount up okay, but it takes some creative gasket work.

If it were me, I'd pull the 99 head, get it rebuilt and put it on the 89 block. That would solve all your problems

I don't know about AR, but I think most states frown on putting an older motor in a newer car. You might want to check your laws.

razorbackxj said:
No such law here. Again anyone know how the head would need to be modified?
No modification needed. It bolts right on, got to love those 4.0 engines. Just find out who is the best at rebuilding heads in your area and take it there.

If you do put the 99 head on, use the 99 head bolts. Chances are the 89 bolts where reused during the rebuid and should not be used again. Use the 89 push rods and rockers. Mark them and put them back in the extact same location. I put the rockers in ziplock bags and mark them with a sharpie. For the rods, I punch holes in a cardboard box and number the holes. This works best to keep the same side facing up.

Back