• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much to trim?

Well Speedy, my bud Mikal runs a RE 4.5" super-flex with 32" TSL SX's. He did not install the extended bumpstops and he rubs pretty well at full stuff. He has done some trimming on the flares too.

I would wager that you will experience some pretty vicious rubbing unless you use extended bumpstops.

The flares only take a little while to remove, so give it a try. Use some penetrating oil on those little bolts first though! I just removed a rear flare yesterday and broke off 3 of the 8 (?) bolts holding it on. Pain in the butt to fix.

Jared

I have 4.5 lift and 32x11.5. I trimmed the fenders all around by cutting slits up to the second lip in 5 inch sections and hammering back. Redrilled holes and used stainless bolts, washers, lock nuts to reinstall cut flares. If it weren't for the fuzz I would've left the flares off.

MarkM raises a good point. Unless you plan on taking her off the road, I'd leave the flares on. Cops WILL ticket you if you take them off.

Florida has to be the state that is most unconcerned about how far your tires stick out. No mud flaps, no flares, hell no fenders, no inspections, no problems. A few cities/counties have inspections but I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket in florida for tires sticking out/no flares/mud flaps. Just about the only perk to being here. Just make sure your tag, lights, and windows are clean when you shake the mud off on the highway.

Well I went out and bought new BFG M/T 32x11.5 to replace the 31's and I am now officialy back to rubbing. Even with my 5.5" Teraflex I get the rub in the front wheel wells towards the back part. I have wanted to try and keep the "stock" flares but they will have to go now. So question, can anyone in Utah tell me where I can get a good price on Bushwacker flares? any good dealers around here?

Not sure if they have them, but Jack-It in SLC are really knowledgeable and cool guys. They also consistentyl cost less than most shops. Try giving them a call.

climbon said:
Well I went out and bought new BFG M/T 32x11.5 to replace the 31's and I am now officialy back to rubbing. Even with my 5.5" Teraflex I get the rub in the front wheel wells towards the back part. I have wanted to try and keep the "stock" flares but they will have to go now. So question, can anyone in Utah tell me where I can get a good price on Bushwacker flares? any good dealers around here?

Why bushwacker? think TJ :)

Kejtar

climbon said:

That is all in relation to the backspacing on your rims!

Well I got back shoping around today and was told that if I go with a long arm kit it will take care of the front tires rubbing in the front wheel wells on the lower back corner. Yes I have short arms up front with the 5.5 (I learn as I go). Is this true? or some one needing 500.00 dollars from me. I did trim out the back corners a bit so it stoped the "street" off the driveway rubbing but I know when Moab comes and I diconnect the sway bar all hell is going to break loose or should I say fenders? I did look at a thread on cutting fenders and the pics I saw where too extrem for me. Kind of want that "sleeper" look but with a full flex ability. How much do TJ flares run in price, I was quoted almost 400.00 for Bushwackers today. Thanks

Speed-racer, I think your right too on the back spacing. I have new Ultra wheels but to be honest with ya I do not know the backspacing on them? How do I get that info.

Just cut cut cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, I was running 33x12.50 MT/R's with a 3.5" lift and no rubbing and I 4wheel the hell out my Jeeps. I now have a 4.5" RE with 33x10.50 BFG's , CUT CUT CUT. If you do it right, you can put the factory flares back on and it will look the same as always...just all that clearance is under there ;) :D

You know what? I think I'll do just that damn it!!! I will cut cut cut you have made a believer out me I think i've just been saved (money wise that is).

Back