• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 ZJ Disc Swap...maybe gone wrong...

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Well I picked up the backing plates at the junkyard today...but I didn't grab the shoes and everything for the e-brake. Anyone know if I can I buy this stuff at a parts store?

I did get the 4 little metal brackets that stick through the backing plate just not the pads or springs or anything that holds it onto the backing plate.

Call them.

When I take these parts from the junkyard, I pull the rotor and caliper (I throw the pads away) but I then just leave everything like the shoes connected to the backing plate - no need for disassembly. I pull on the e brake lever and unhook the cable and just cut all the hard brake lines. Don't forget the proportioning valve.

You can get e-brake shoes at a parts store but they will probably want to charge you a few dollars deposit for the core. I think we can get those clips but its not something listed on the computer and I would have to dig around in the catalog a bit for the part number.

This kinda sucks...I think I might be better off just waiting until spring and going back out to the junkyard to pull another set of disc brakes instead of paying a ton of money on the hardware for the e-brake.

The ones I pulles also had a halfway broken tab that holds the ebrake cable...I don't know how easy of a fix that would be.

check ebay for the ebrake shoes, i got a new set on there from auctionfrontier for $10.......parts stores will rape you on the price for these

napa sells all the springs, ebrake hardware, etc. as a set PN# UP2975

i can give you the part numbers for the ebrake levers as well if you didn't get those either

that should be all you need, i had to piece together the ebrake for my swap too so i know how you feel

Fred85 said:
check ebay for the ebrake shoes, i got a new set on there from auctionfrontier for $10.......parts stores will rape you on the price for these

napa sells all the springs, ebrake hardware, etc. as a set PN# UP2975

i can give you the part numbers for the ebrake levers as well if you didn't get those either

that should be all you need, i had to piece together the ebrake for my swap too so i know how you feel

I doubt you'd be paying more than $25 for e-brake shoes and spring assemblies at a parts store. I know the spring kits were like $7 last I checked.

The bigger thing is that in flavor country, ebrakes aren't worth as much as disc brakes. You can do the swap and drive it without an e-brake until you can get ahold of all the parts, it isn't a big deal.

Archdukeferdinand said:
The bigger thing is that in flavor country

you say this like someone besides you knows wth flavor country is :)

...wth is flavor country?

Archdukeferdinand said:
I doubt you'd be paying more than $25 for e-brake shoes and spring assemblies at a parts store. I know the spring kits were like $7 last I checked.

for some reason when i did my ebrake, the cheapest ebrake shoes i could get were $35 at a parts store (i checked them all).......i noticed advance auto now has really cheap ones dammit

and the spring kits, i looked ALL over the place for those......the only store that carried the entire ebrake hardware kit was napa and it is $20

where are they only $7??

Fred85 said:
for some reason when i did my ebrake, the cheapest ebrake shoes i could get were $35 at a parts store (i checked them all).......i noticed advance auto now has really cheap ones dammit

and the spring kits, i looked ALL over the place for those......the only store that carried the entire ebrake hardware kit was napa and it is $20

where are they only $7??

Advance for both, I remember something like $15 for shoes and $7 for the kit.

I bought my longer wheelstuds at NAPA and checked on spring kit while I was there and it was the same. Maybe I wasn't looking at the hardware kit that had all the hardware?

Still, $35 isn't that bad.

Thanks for the replies guys...I'm going to go back out to the junkyard tomarrow and pull the calipers and soft lines(hopefully if they aren't frozen to the ground). I probably won't be hooking up the ebrake right away...i just want to know that I'll be able to come across the parts when I need them. I'm in the process of swapping in the 8.25 and a new front axle with matching ratios. I figured rebuilding the drums wouldn't be worth it. I'll be replacing the seals and bearings while I'm at it.

I'm going to be running an 8" lift with LA's and all the necessary junk that goes along with it. I'm just trying to get everything prepped and put together as much as possible to make the lift install easier.

Back