• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chamfer throttle body

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 4.0 auto, I have a spare throttle body I am installing a new tps on , would it hurt to chamfer the gasket side of the body to match the gasket? looks like I can open it up from 55mm to about 62mm (the area I was planning on removing material from/chamfering is the last 7mm so I don't interfere with the throttle plate.I plan on also leaving the area near the map port untouched so I don't affect anything. Thanks for any input!

From what ive read, haveing a bigger throttle body with no other mods (exhaust etc.) does nothing but loose you some power on the low end. Somewhere i read on naxja that you do get a couple more horse at very high rpm though.. search it

I'm not boring it out or changing the throttle plate, I'm just chamfering the gasket side of the body to match the gasket, smooth flow and help get crisper throttle response,not going for big power or anything.

well I did it, be sure to use an aluminum cutting bit on the die grinder, the steel ones just plug up, after chamfering a 45 degree I smoothed it with emery cloth then sandpaper up to 400 grit, dissesembled and cleaned inside an out will post results once installed and tps set up. I wouldn't be doing this if i didn't have a spare tb.Could have made it worse for all I know.

It's basically port matching the throttle body. I have no clue why they made the intake opening larger than the bore of the throttle body, makes no sense at all. Doing the port match flows air a little better and increases throttle response. Other than that performance gains are fairly small.

Back