• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Question

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
I searched, didn't find a definite answer, so I suppose I'll ask some advice.

I bought my Jeep lifted. It supposedly has 5.5" RE coils in the front with the RK 3-link system. But the shocks are from a 3.5" lift. I have a major amount of flex in the front considering my bumpstops aren't extended and my fenders are trimmed some.

So today, I go an flex out my Jeep to measure for shocks. From the bottom mount to the top of the fender well was a little less than 28". So I went to a "local" 4x4 shop to buy some shocks. After some discussion, the person told me that for my 5.5" of lift, she's got the right shocks - and they extend to 26". she convinced me that would be fine, so I took em.

When I got home and went to install it, i found that, from the height of my Jeep sitting level, the new shocks would only allow about 3" more of extension. So I made the hour trip back to return the shocks and she explained that she didn't have anything longer, they'd have to special order it. not worth my time, so I just got a refund and came home and ordered these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16016_112.htm.

For some reason, I didn't even think about bottoming out the shock if it's too long for my application, I was only worried about not ripping it apart when I'm on a trail. But the more I read, I'm thinking this may be too long for my application.

any opinions, I'd like to get this figured out by tomrrow, so I can call and cancel the order before it ships, so I won't have to ship it back. Thanks for reading my novel.

The Skyjacker shocks you're talking appear to have ~12inches of travel, and are ~23inches long, when centered, giving you 6inches up and 6inches down. How much room do you have at ride-height? Less than 23 will result in less up travel, but increase down travel.

Back