• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Refinishing Tub - Rust Removal - SUGGESTIONS?

Markm80521

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled the carpet up in the rear of the XJ for a couple reasons:

1) Put the rear Flares back on after trimming the fenders
2) When I lived in Seattle and the roads were frequently wet the rear carpet would get wet

Low and behold the jeep was in a wreck before I owned it as the right rear fender well looked like it needed to be hammered out at one time. There is also dried mud on that side yet no visible hole. On both rear quarter panels there is that pocket below the taillight that you can reach into from the inside, there is wet mud. Obvioulsly those seams are leaking.

SO..... I am going to pull the carpet/ seats and prevent my jeep from rusting to nothing in ten years. Does anyone have suggestions as far as paint on liner, rust protection combo's, gasoline and a match maybe, that they have used or any experiences they have had with this task. Thanks in advance!

MM

Mechanical cleaning of all rusty surfaces is essential to stopping further corrosion damage. Sand/Bead blasting or wire wheel on an air grinder is what is needed here.

Then, once it's clean and dry, use a special paint like POR-15 (they have a website for details.)

Certain parts of the body (like the inside of the doors and the rear quarter panel behind the rear wheel arch) are DESIGNED to get wet inside. The key is that there are drains in these compartments that are intended to let the water back out. WHen dust/dirt/rust accumulate over the drains in these compartments, then you wind up with "mud" and permanent moisture in these areas. THAT makes for rust.

The solution here is to clean those compartments out of all foreign material, make sure the drain holes are open and working correctly, and then coat all interior surfaces with the POR-15 or similar.

i'm afraid to look under my carpet... it feels "crunchy" under it all over the cargo area .... next spring...
mike

Back