• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case front out put shaft play

speedmonkey7

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know this a noob question, but is it normal for the front outpust shaft of my t-case to have a little bit of play. I can grab the front driveling and wiggle just a little bit, maybe 1/16th of an inch or so. I just want to know because I am chasing a funky noise. The play is not in the u joints, they are new.
Thanks for the help, Chris :gee:

No, it should be pretty tight, with a few thousandths of play. It will eventually wear out the seal. Mine has had a fair amount of slop in it for about four years. I have an extra transfer and figured to swap it out, if it every did get really bad and rebuild it. But it hasn't died yet and has only taken one replacement seal. It does make a good bit of noise though, when in 4X. It is relatively quiet in 2X. My chain has never jumped the sprocket.
I always save my Dexron when changing the oil in the transfer and filter it through a paint filter, just to see whats in the oil. How much metal, etc. If your bearings are worn, the material that has ablated off, will end up in your oil and hopefully stay in the bottom of the case and not be recirculated through the good bearings.

Back