• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot Water Heater

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, some of you may think that this is the dumbest idea ever, but hear me out.

I go camping quite often, and sometimes it is nice to take a hot shower. I recently installed a tranny cooler in line with my radiator, but then I got to thinking, if I got a NEW radiator, used my tranny cooler as a stand alone cooler, could I use the transmission lines in the radiator to pump water through to heat it and store it in some sort of tank?

I'm thinking If the temp sensor reads 210 during normal operation, and the water is flowing, it shouldn't get too hot, or would it flow so fast that it wouldn't get hot enough?

its a water heater, if the water was already hot you wouldnt need to heat it lol..:rof:.anyways...

they did this on a commander in one of the offroad adventures magazines. there is some company out there that makes a kit, if you find out what they are using, you could replicate it.

lemme see if i cant find that mag

-Tim

it's very do-able, just be carefull before you go jumping naked underneath a stream of engine-heated water. Most home water heaters go to about 155 degrees, and that's enough to do some serious burning/scalding.

Yup, saw this done on a show a few years back... Trucks, I think. Anywho, yeah there is a kit, generally you are gonna pull water out of a creek/ lake, so the water should be fairly cool, thus not able to get too hot, But I think that there was a bypass so you could adjust the temp if needed.

When I was a kid I went camping with my parents and these hunter's had made a shower with a metal trash can over a fire and a pump. Since we only had a pop tent trailer the shower was really a treat after a couple days in the dirt! This sounds like a great idea.

I went camping with a guy who had this on his rig. He ran his engine coolant through a copper coil that he placed inside a large coffee can type container. Then he ran water through this can so that the engine coolant would heat it up, by adjusting the amount of time the clean water spent in the can he could adjust the temp. After a long day on a very dusty trail it was the single best mod I had ever seen. Needles to say he was a very very popular guy that weekend.

marine engines use a heat exchanger to cool the engine, they could be used in reverse to heat water for a shower search for heat exchanger in marine stores they make vairious sizes and shapes.

I really like these ideas too! One of my hunting camps is without hot water and electricity. We've solved the electricity problem with a generator, but still miss the ability to take a hot bath/shower. Is there a write up on this somewhere?

I use a 1.5 gallon yard pump sprayer for my hot water shower needs (it's dedicated for this purpose).

I boil about half the water in a pot on my camp stove, add the remaining cold water; pump up the sprayer and shower away. I even have a "porta-shower stall" for those times privacy prevails. This amount of water is more than enough water for two showers...

...just throwing something else out there. :viking:

I've been looking into this hot shower idea as well and found a couple sites that look promising in addition to GoJeep. One I found on the bronco 4x4 website which also is worth looking at:

yankeetoys.org/black900rr/shower/Shower.html and the other
classicbroncos.com/shower.shtml

Both ideas would work whether you plumb a line to the local stream or river or just put a five gallon bucket of cold h2o on your roof and go from there. My son wants me to come up with a shower curtain bracket off of my roof rack because, I think, the wildlife have us under constant surveilance.

Back