• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 from Scout

southernoregonxjer

NAXJA Forum User
Found a d44 from a '67-68 Scout and was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these? I would think the width should be about the same....but as far as mounting it up to my 01 xj what will i have to do? It has 4.27 gears which would be about perfect if i could get them for my d30 on the front.....

any comments ideas?

IIRC Scout II 44's might be a tad narrower than an XJ... and drum brake equipped with hard-to-find parts for

Local guy had one built up with a detroit and 5.13s (?)

I remember him running wheel spacers on it...

kida depends on the price I guess.

$100. Ever hear of anyone doing a disc swap with it? Basiclly Im in the market for a rear locker and new gears for front and rear. I dont really want to lock my stock d35 because ive herd thats nothing but problems. I also want to put disc brakes on the rear sometime too...
what axle should i be looking for? a ford explorer? or any specific d44?

southernoregonxjer said:

Try hitting the junkyards for an XJ44 or the for sale board here...

They're drum brakes too but the disk swap has been done IIRC...

If you've got your heart set on disks, and have fab skills you can make it work with custom brackets and ford/chevy calipers (?)...

Or you can buy an 8.8 that has the same bolt pattern as an XJ and already has disk brakes.

Tons of info if you search

I used to run a Scout 44, so here's the lowdown... a scout axle that old will be from an 800, not a scout II, and will be significantly narrower, so narrow you won't be able to get your perches mounted inside the brake backing plates -- this axle won't work for you. Later Scout II D44's are 58" wiide, and work well for an XJ with 1" spacer/adapters (need to convert from 5 on 5.5 pattern to a 5 on 4.5 pattern). I ran a TSM disc brake kit, but wouldn't recommend it, because the cadilac calipers plain suck as far as an ebrake goes. Also, be wary of any older scout axle with a trac-loc limited slip -- mine blew up in a low traction situation, and I have another buddy who blew one up in his 76 binder...

on the plus side, you can do 4.27 gears in your front D30, because it is an 01, and therefore low pinion (HPD30's cant run 4.27 gears)... good luck.

southernoregonxjer said:
$100. Ever hear of anyone doing a disc swap with it? Basiclly Im in the market for a rear locker and new gears for front and rear. I dont really want to lock my stock d35 because ive herd thats nothing but problems. I also want to put disc brakes on the rear sometime too...

southernoregonxjer said:
Found a d44 from a '67-68 Scout and was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these? I would think the width should be about the same....but as far as mounting it up to my 01 xj what will i have to do? It has 4.27 gears which would be about perfect if i could get them for my d30 on the front.....

any comments ideas?

I believe the scout d44 is about 1.5 inches narrower than the XJ, you could run spacers.

4.27 gears are available for the d30

Scout axles are a common swap into CJ's.

I would look for a 1987-88 XJ d44, or go with a ford 8.8 from an explorer with disc brakes.

Back