• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trac bar frame mount fix?

kcsterling

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of a fix for the oem tracbar mount @ the frame? I have a 96 Xj with a new oem tracbar and could not get rid of the popping noise. That is until I removed the tracbar mount and noticed the lower mount hole is sightly egg shaped. I checked with the dealer and was blown away on the price--over $200.00 for an oem mount. I am looking for an economical fix, btw that mount was a bear to remove. Thanks for the help
Art

So is it the Trac bar Mount that is ovaled or is it the frame? If it is the Mount I am sure someone close will give you one. I am in NC or else I would give you my old one.

Frame is good, hole where TRE mounts is egged. I tried to shim the TRE bolt on the nut side to draw it further into the mount hole, but ended up stripping the castle nut. That is when I decided I had another issue and needed to take a closer look @ the mount.
Thanks

Has anyone ever tried a graduated drill bit to straightened the hole? Just an idea.

Could you have the old hole welded shut, re-drill and re-taper?

Yes, I could do that myself, but after reading all of the fixing tracbar mounts at the axle threads I hoped some one had repaired one of these frame mounts successfully and could advise me. I would imagine the hole is only off at the outer lower end. If that is the case, I cannot see why your suggestion would not work.
Thanks.

Probably no one has repaired one because most change to a different setup and get rid of it or modify it. If you need one, get one from someone who has taken their's off....

The track bar mount was a bear to remove. Thats funny.
4 bolts dude.

Just fill the holes with weld, then grind it smooth.
Then plate it with some 1/8" and re drill the holes.
Its free, except the $15 you might spend at Lowes for 1/8" 3" flat bar.

Or just upgrade to a heavy duty trac bar/trac bar mount. If you are running a lift with large tires and other stuff, you will just have to fix it again eventually.

Of course, that wouldn't be to economical.

Sorry to make you laugh, 4 bolts and removal of the coil spring and everything requiring spring removal. This being done while recovering from a broken foot and right wrist. Certainly was not an easy task. I have drilled the lower end with a tapered drill bit to clean the hole and will attempt this.

Back