• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can I put an s-10 4wd drivetrain in my 90 xj

it_broke_down

NAXJA Forum User
Actually its a s10 blazer, I was wondering if the motor, transmission, and t-case would fit inn my 90 xj. The donor is a 1985 s10 blazer 4wd with a 2.8 liter and (im assuming) a t-5 tansmission and a 231c t-case. the 2.8 is carbed so Im abou sure I'll need fuel regulator, the part that bothers me is my Xj is automatic where as the blazer is manual. I have the whole blazer so everything to it is included FREE.

you cant be serious.... that is the worst engine (the 2.8 liter) ever put on the face of the planet. think it makes like 115 hp. Sell the s-10 and get another awesome 4.0...

my 2 c

it_broke_down said:
Actually its a s10 blazer, I was wondering if the motor, transmission, and t-case would fit inn my 90 xj. The donor is a 1985 s10 blazer 4wd with a 2.8 liter and (im assuming) a t-5 tansmission and a 231c t-case. the 2.8 is carbed so Im abou sure I'll need fuel regulator, the part that bothers me is my Xj is automatic where as the blazer is manual. I have the whole blazer so everything to it is included FREE.

That would be a really, really, really bad swap.

4.0L AW4 all the way.

the 4.0 doesn't bother me the 4.0 is a powerhouse its the trasnmission and the sensors/electronics. Plus i've dropped $3,000 in the drivetrain in repairs alone. and the 2.8 is FREE. Yes, I have thought about he 350 swap, I also thought about the price. 2.8 liter proven reliable (Free) verses 350 swap of roughly a $1000 done right.

I admit not the motor of choice I'd rather somthing else yet money talks. I also think, I maybe wrong but didn't the some of the xj's have a 2.8 liter

it_broke_down said:
the 4.0 doesn't bother me the 4.0 is a powerhouse its the trasnmission and the sensors/electronics. Plus i've dropped $3,000 in the drivetrain in repairs alone. and the 2.8 is FREE. Yes, I have thought about he 350 swap, I also thought about the price. 2.8 liter proven reliable (Free) verses 350 swap of roughly a $1000 done right.

Then sell the damn thing if you have $3000 in to it... buy another jeep. Hell i know we've all seen XJ's in the 90's era for a $1000.

The 2.8 is a dog, on the other hand the 4.3 now thats a reliable engine. All it is is a 350 block w/2 cylinders cut right off.

Keep an eye out for a deal like this. I found a complete 99 XJ roll over w/a clean title for $1000 and I plan on mating the head off of that to a 2000 XJ w/a cracked head, buying today for $1600, making one good XJ sell that one and make money and have a complete 4.0 - a head, w/the rest of Jeep for parting out.

God Bless :patriot:

I have seen several wrecked xj's in the classifieds etc for 4-6 hundred dollars. Forget the s-10 swap. you would have so much time and effert into it and be worst off for it.

I have owned several 2.8's in 2WD S-10 pickups, -and in the 2WD light trucks, the 2.8's proved to do just fine. Both of my 2.8 2WD's had in excess of 250,000 miles on them with no major issues to speak of. Granted, I take care of my rigs with regular oil changes, -but I also run the living daylights out of them too. My 2.8's would regularly see 5000, -even 6000 RPM's on the tach (because you have to wring the things out to get any power out of them).

I have also driven many S-10 blazers with the 2.8's, and they're all turds. The 2.8 simply doesn't have enough oomph to push around the extra weight of the 4WD's. In the 2WD's, they seem to do just fine, -but not in the 4WD's.

I would not personally invest the time to do that sort of swap. For what you'll get in return, I think you'd be very disappointed.

Like the other guys have said, the 4.0/AW4 setup is leaps and bounds ahead of ANY 2.8/T-5 setup, -particularly in a 4X4.

I would personally look around for another XJ donor rig that has been in an accident or something, -then nab the parts off of it.

As for the 350 swap, -me personally, -I wouldn't do it. If ya want a heavy V-8 rig, -just go and by a K5 blazer, early ford bronco, -or a grand cherokee.

The 4.0 in my opinion is where it's at......, and besides, the XJ being so lightweight is what contributes greatly to it's off road capabilities. The 4.0 fuel/ignition setup does leave a little to be desired, but on the other hand, they are pretty dang reliable, -and they are very inexpensive in comparison to other rigs of equal capabilities off road. I don't care who's running gear you have, -they will all have their problems, chevy, ford, dodge, toyota, etc, -it doesn't matter, they all break.

With the wealth of information on this forum on the 4.0 and the renix/chryco systems, I'm not one bit scared of keeping my 4.0

My .02

They did the first couple of years, but there is a reason they dropped them that quickly and put in the 4.0L. I've known people personally with the 2.8 in a Cherokee and it had all kinds of problems, plus was gutless. My wife and parents each owned a 2.8 Blazer at one time also, too many problems and not enough power. If money talks, sell the Blazer and use that money to talk your way into a better engine.

I can't believe nobody asked this......what drive train does your XJ have...what year model is it??

My 86 XJ has an 1996 4.3 190hp Astro Van motor, GM 1/2 ton transfercase with the Chevy computer wired into the Jeep harness. This motor is killer & has tons of power, Waggy D44's & geared with 4:88's. Couldn't be more happy with it & wish I had an idea who did the work? Oh yea did I mention it's smog legal too! :passgas:

ive got the 2.8 in a 4x4 comanche and after fixing the factory oil leak its got no problem even for my heavy foot(with insurance bill to prove it)

thats not to say that when the time comes i wont be upgrading

on a 3 speed auto it does run higher rpms than im normaly comfterble with

I converted mine to an El-Camino Raaaarrr!!
2djwcwo.jpg

i had a 2.8 auto wagon years back 2 motors 2 trannys the first motor went 3 days after i got the car #2 went for crap because of faulty sensors it cost 40$ for 2 days driving but my buddy joes 2.8 blazer sees 6000 to 6500 power shifts all day every day and im sure his gutless wonder is in very real danger of outliving the tranny

Back