• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans crossmember bolts

slingblade

NAXJA Forum User
i've got an 88 wagoneer 4.0 aw4 np242 one of the bolts in the "frame" that hold the cross member in has broken a weld inside or something can only get 3 or 4 threads through the nut before the bolt spins and i have no idea how to get it fixed been told to weld a plate on with a new bolt bee told to push the bolt through and tap the frame to put a bolt from the bottom and also to cut the floor pull out the old bolt and weld a new one in. anyone with any idea of the strongest way to do this would be appreciated am not in a hurry to get it fixed and have access to a auto hobby shop with a welder and someone to weld so thats not a big deal. thanks in advance

Chris

You should replace that nutcert whatever you do. If you don't wheel the Jeep, it probably wont matter. If you do wheel, I'd cut from the side or top, and weld a new bolt or nutcert and then patch and truss the area that I entered it in.

There is also the option of welding the skidplate to the unibody "frame" in that location as long as you don't mind grinding the welds off (very carefully) if you need to remove the skidplate again.

1) Slow down... Just breathe... It's all going to work out...

2) It's entirely possible to cut a hole in the side of the "frame rail" to put a nut in there - I've done it in a couple places since I got rid of my Peugeot for an AX-15. You'll want to use a grinding wheel, you get more control from that.

Cut the hole about an inch and a half to two inches high, about three inches wide, and centred on the screw hole you're replacing the nut for. You want to be able to get in there and hold a nut between two fingers, and also have room to get a wrench in to tighten it.

Once you have the hole large enough, put a bolt in there (3/8"-16 x 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" is what I used, I think) then put a washer on the bolt. You'll have to finagle it a bit, but then you start the nut on with your fingers, then hold it with a wrench while you tighten the bolt from underneath.

Be sure to paint all cut metal surfaces before you return the vehicle to service! You don't want your unibody frame members to start rusting! And, make sure you use a colour coat, and not a primer - primers are porous. Any colour will do (and priming it beforehand doesn't do any harm,) but just get one of those little brush-on bottles, and use that. I also like to use stainless hardware for underbody - I did for these (and I replaced the other screws - the ones that the nutsert still worked for - with CRES/stainless as well.)

thanks gents. and i'm trying to slow down learning a new job and the heart ache of my jeep not running :bawl: anything new even little bout sends me over the edge thanks again yall are a huge help

Back