• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end wobble

XJ FREAK

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 xj with a 4.0 4x4, when I hit a bump just the right way my front end goes nuts, usally over 35. My brother was behind me the last time I went to uhwarrie and he said that both front wheels was shaking back and forth. It has a stock suspension and I am sure nothing has ever been replaced.:helpme:

hey I had the same problem and I found that my front shocks had a bad spot in them and I changed the shocks and it hasnt done it since! Dont know if it will help but it thought I tell you the problem I had.
Caleb

A dead spot in a shock's the same as a loose bar pin or trashed bushing, both proven wobble-causers.

Just like anything else with an XJ: Shimmies can start from virtually any component being suspect, and your XJ's probably gonna be fixed by a different part than the last guy's XJ.

jordo said:
worn front shocks coupled with bad alignment gave me a bout of dw when my suspension was stock. nearly sh!t myself.

Are you talking VIOLENT, UNCONTROLLED shaking of the front end? A "little shimmy" isn't death wobble.

I say this cause I've driven my rig with NO front shocks at speeds ranging from city stop and go to mountain road to Highway driving. Never expireneced any wobble. It rode like ass, but never wobbled.

KarlVP said:
Are you talking VIOLENT, UNCONTROLLED shaking of the front end? A "little shimmy" isn't death wobble.

I say this cause I've driven my rig with NO front shocks at speeds ranging from city stop and go to mountain road to Highway driving. Never expireneced any wobble. It rode like ass, but never wobbled.

I know what dw is. Driven an MJ or an XJ since i was 16 (so that's 13yrs) and am very familiar with their shakes, shimmies and wobbles but never before anything like this. Nailed a normal bump on lakeshore road at speed and the front end erupted into a fit of crazed, uncontrollable shaking. Thought for sure was gonna lose it. By the time things were controllable I was in the other lane almost to a stop.

Either way, I knew my shocks were toast and alignment was really off but had been putting them off. Everything else checked out fine and afterwards hit the bump a few times no problems.

jordo said:
I know what dw is. Driven an MJ or an XJ since i was 16 (so that's 13yrs) and am very familiar with their shakes, shimmies and wobbles but never before anything like this. Nailed a normal bump on lakeshore road at speed and the front end erupted into a fit of crazed, uncontrollable shaking. Thought for sure was gonna lose it. By the time things were controllable I was in the other lane almost to a stop.

Either way, I knew my shocks were toast and alignment was really off but had been putting them off. Everything else checked out fine and afterwards hit the bump a few times no problems.

Thats why they call it "dw"(DEATH WOBBLE) When it starts you thing your going to crash(DIE) before you get it under control!

If you have never felt this way...........YOU HAVE NEVER, EXPERIENCED THE DEATH WOBBLE!!!!

My first experience with dw was when i was 16 with my first truck,60 ford pk with vary bad king pins and a steering wheel with half a turn of slop in it!

I had to clean my shorts before i got it stopped:scared: :eek: :helpme: :eek: :eek:

Flash.

this has already been covered....mine was a combo of all ball joints...getting an adjustable track bar..drop pinion angle,shocks and bent stock wheels...now it is a dream...I dont think ther is one "thing" it is trial and error and a combo of suspension parts

Back