• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what the hell is this??

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
it just broke near the valve cover side and near the air filter doo hickey

wholepiece.jpg

valvecoverside.jpg

airfilterside.jpg

is this required to be good for me to drive the jeep?

I wouldnt drive with it like that. You can get them from any place that sells dorman products for way less the what the dealer wants.

yeah they want 65 for one of the hose, thats garbage, i might need that little block too i dunno it's kinda messed up, but im gonna bu yit from my kragens its only 11 bucks.

well i have bod and some what worse news for ya, well for one its your breather valve, and its a dealer only part. but on a better note i did the same thing and you can replace it with any kind of breather. but yeah def. dont drive it when i did i puked a 1qt a day!! but its a common problem
-Keep Jeepin

Well i mean it seems okay to drive without it ,just exhaust gases come out, and i told my atuozone exactly what it was and they said they had it, the fresh air hose and everything

It's not a breather valve. There is no valve in an XJ 4.0. As your Autozone person points out, it's the fresh air inlet for the crankcase vent. The little hose at the rear is where the vapor is supposed to be sucked back into the engine.

As long as you have a functional hose and a grommet that fits, it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the factory original. If necessary, for example, you can make a hose sleeve for the broken part at the junction block. If you can't find that one-piece elbow, you can even find another elbow and put it through a PVC grommet that fits the hole in the valve cover, as long as it's tight, and has a bore similar to the original. It does need to be there, though, for the engine to breathe right and not pollute or simply to spew oil all over, so fix it asap. If Autozone can fix you up with something that fits right, do it.

okay and do i need the whole hose that goes all the way through to the air filter and through that little vacuum block deal? it looks all messed up and i dunn oif it's all one tube or 2 connected at that block

maybe but that dealer price is very, very high i dunno if it came with everything i might do it but until then i might use this autozone special to fill the void, does anybody have an exploded sheet of this like contraption?

You could also RTV it as a temporary fix. I did that a couple of years ago and never got around to replacing it, and it is still tight. FWIW

My elbow cracked so I RTV'd it. Lasted a few weeks before the RTV started to break down and at that point I got worried it would all break off and get sucked into the crankcase. I pulled the RTV off, pulled the elbow out and in frustration just jammed the breather hose right into the crankcase. Has worked for the last week like that.
Today I was at the wrecker and picked up a new elbow for a few bucks.

1993 Red XJ said:
Try this. I did this to my jeep and no more oil in my air filter. It only costed me $40.00 at the dealership.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...ValveCover.htm
I think that MADXJs write up will work. Mine is a 90 and I did something similar and it held up for a year until I changed to a remanufactured engine. No leaks and less oil in breather box. For the price savings you can't argue. But make sure you clean the little valves built into the valve cover when you remove it. VERY IMPORTANT STEP

Back