• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (JKS upper shock conversion)

uncc civilengineer

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4083

A few questions:
1. how tough is it?

2.Im about to do the JKS upper shock conversion in the back and have to relocate my exhaust. I would like to know how it sounds inside the jeep compared to the 50 series.

My plans are looking like a Magnaflow Cat and either the 50series or Off-Road Flowmaster all running 2.5" pipe.

What do you exhaust experts think... 2.25" pipe or 2.5" pipe... Im wanting this to be as quite as possible.

Thanks.

EDIT: The case dims. on the Off-Road muffler are : 13x9.75x4
The case dims. on the 50 series is 17x9.75x4

I also know that the OR Extreme is an exact replica to the 40 series BUT, flowmaster claims its quieter..... Need some input here.

3. another question.. what to get Inlet: offset, Outlet: center -OR- Inlet: offset, Outlet: offset?

Last edited:
If you want it to be really quiet, use 2.25" tube, stock type cat, get an offset inlet, center outlet Delta flow 50 series, and route out the back.

The Delta flow mufflers are desingned to be a little more quiet than the others.

And another thing, don't buy from flowmaster directly. Buy from Jegs or Summitracing. Better pricing.

I have an Standard 40 series on mine, has held up well. They are perty beefy, and heavy by themselves. Tucks up nicley as well.

I can take a pic of how it fits also, if you want.

Please take a pic if you can..

Also about the 2.25" as opposed to 2.5", I figured the larger diameter pipe would be quieter. My buddy is running 3" exhaust on his T78 turbo mustang and its absolutely silent until boost.....

As for purchaseing I was planning on either off this board or summit.

I have flowmater 50 2.5" piping all the way to the back I put on the magnaflow high-flow cat on mine and it sound good not to loud.

Last edited:
uncc civilengineer said:
2.Im about to do the JKS upper shock conversion in the back and have to relocate my exhaust.

Post up here how that goes. I just tried it and the mount would not sit flat against the body because the fuel lines and harness were in the way. The instructions did not mention having to reroute fuel lines. My XJ is a '01.

Brad

SKIM said:
If you are going to get a flowmater and the piping out the back I would go with rustys full kit that is what I am running,but I put in a new high-flow cat.http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=XJFM-50&Category_Code=PER_EXH

To each his own, but I personally think it would be cheaper to just buy a muffler from someone, for around $70(less on ebay for a Flowmaster), and get a tail pipe bent at a local exhaust shop for give or take, $40. Install it yourself. $150 plus shipping, is way more than buying parts and doing it yourself. The mandrel bend of the rustys kit is nice though. My .02.

CanMan said:
To each his own, but I personally think it would be cheaper to just buy a muffler from someone, for around $70(less on ebay for a Flowmaster), and get a tail pipe bent at a local exhaust shop for give or take, $40. Install it yourself. $150 plus shipping, is way more than buying parts and doing it yourself. The mandrel bend of the rustys kit is nice though. My .02.

I with ya. Besides, he said that he is going to do the JKS shock mount, so it's pointless for him to buy a pre-bent tailpipe. It has to be custom bent to work with the JKS mount.

uncc- Go to a shop and have the tailpipe bent after you install the JKS shock mount.

SKIM the rusyt's stuff wouldnt work.. i have to relocate the exhaust. I dont mind it, I want to hi-clearance it as much as possible.

As for the JKS install.. if clearance is an issue just notch the brace? do you want to sell me your setup? If so pm me and let me know before I buy it next week.

CanMan said:
If you want it to be really quiet, use 2.25" tube, stock type cat, get an offset inlet, center outlet Delta flow 50 series, and route out the back.
u need a CENTER inlet and OFFSET out let, trust me a offset inlet flowmaster does not work on a cherokee, your either gonna be rubbin the frame or the driveshaft

ROBZ95Xj said:
u need a CENTER inlet and OFFSET out let, trust me a offset inlet flowmaster does not work on a cherokee, your either gonna be rubbin the frame or the driveshaft

Wrong.

Put it toward the 'frame'.

100_3522.jpg

CanMan said:
Wrong.

Put it toward the 'frame'.

100_3522.jpg
wierd, we put a offst inlet 40 on my friends 96 and it was up against the frame

ROBZ95Xj said:

I would agree w/ u but CanMan has pics.. Also the muffler is only about 9.5" wide so its no where as wide as stock...

That looks like it would be up against the frame if it was level.

I have a center inlet/offset outlet 40-series with no cat and 2.25" pipe- sounds great.

I also have 2.5" offset/offset brand new 40-series I'm selling. $68 shipped.

uncc civilengineer said:
SKIM the rusyt's stuff wouldnt work.. i have to relocate the exhaust. I dont mind it, I want to hi-clearance it as much as possible.

As for the JKS install.. if clearance is an issue just notch the brace? do you want to sell me your setup? If so pm me and let me know before I buy it next week.

No go on the notching. You would be cutting this much or more to ensure nothing was rubbing on the fuel lines. I am going to call JKS tech and see if they have any suggestions, but right now this has taken a low priority.

notched.jpg

Not my rig, but from another similar post. I highlighted the problem.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904214

100_1856.jpg

bknudtsen said:
No go on the notching. You would be cutting this much or more to ensure nothing was rubbing on the fuel lines. I am going to call JKS tech and see if they have any suggestions, but right now this has taken a low priority.

notched.jpg

Not my rig, but from another similar post. I highlighted the problem.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904214

100_1856.jpg

Doesnt look like much to me.. just take a 4" angle grinder and clip a little off. If it's an issue w/ mine thats what im going to do. I would never use that first hole anyway.

uncc civilengineer said:
Doesnt look like much to me.. just take a 4" angle grinder and clip a little off. If it's an issue w/ mine thats what im going to do. I would never use that first hole anyway.

Post the results here. I'd like to see what issues you have, if any.

Thanks,

Brad

Back