• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent LCA mount, Axle end

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, my apartment complex put in some MASSIVE speed bumps. They've already claimed a power steering line on my roomies audi, and a muffler on my neighbors civic.

I'm not 100% sure, but i think from driving over them too fast, they have begun to bend my Passenger side LCA mount at the axle. Its bent pretty good towards the center of the jeep.

First of all, how long will it hold like this if i dont do any wheeling?

Second, what is the best way to fix it? should is just cut them off and have a friend weld some new ones on, or can i just bend them back? or can i bend them back and then weld a plate on the front to stiffen it up some?

Thanks guys

Kenny

I also did the same thing but doesnt sound quite as bad. Is there any thing that can be done w/o replacing them? Sorry for the hijack, who knows might help you too...

We replaced both on a 94 that dropped a front tire off in a hole @ 15 mph. We also had a lift that made it esay. Just eyeballed the new mount after cutting the old mount loose. We also had adjustable control arms too. Nevermind, it wouldnt be that easy if you are stock. All in all, it was our first time doing it and it went well. My buddy is experienced in body repair though. The new mounts are sweet though.

yeah im not stock, about 5" of lift or so. i have a buddy who welds, think it would be easy enough for him to weld them on?

68745c273229b477.jpg

trying to see if this pic will work. never tried to upload one before. sorry its crappy, its from my phone

edit: pic worked. So in everyone's opinion, is this mount salvageable, or is it unsafe to drive on it?

How do the welds look... I mean those stock mounts are very weak until boxed in. If the welds are cracked get some new mounts. If not I dont see any problem w/ removing the arm, bending them back, and boxing them in w/ some mini skids or whatever. You're not going to over fatigue that metal by just bending it back. Now if you keep bending over and over.. well you know what happens...

EDIT: im curious how you have done that much damage on a speedbump.. Something seems wrong, is the arm rotating? how is the other side?

you could not have done that on a speed bump. the tires roll over the speed bump and your axle doesn't get any closer to the bump than it does the road:lecture:
I had similar damage to a control arm bracket. the whole thing was flattened and twisted, making it impossible to straighten out. in trying to straighten, the welds tore, and necessitated removing the bracket. Even with my limited skills and tools, I was able to fabricate an identical bracket from 3/16 plate, and had a friend weld it on. good as new

the speed bumps are not even close to regulation. There have been multiple complaints about them, to the point where people dont even drive over them anymore, they drive around them. I was driving over them, just too fast. I know that it isnt from my control arm mount actually hitting the speedbump. I think its from driving too fast over it and the sheer force causing the damage. I hadnt really looked close at the driver's side, but it seems fine. Anyhow, doesnt really matter how it happened, just matters that it is damaged.

Apparently the consensus is if the welds are good, bend it back and plate it. if they are cracked, cut them off and replace?

Back