• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Lock Will not turn

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Freezing here with snow on the ground.....HELP!

I searched but did not find this exact issue with any resolution.

1992 XJ 4dr with TILT steering.
No previous issues with steering wheel lock/ignition switch.

key would go in.
key would turn to ACC
key would not turn forward to start.
steering wheel NOT LOCKED and will not lock.

removed the ignition lock the hard way...in pieces thru its mounting hole.
even with the lock removed entirely, still will not turn.

Is it the ignition switch or is there some linkage in the column that is more likely the culprit?

Thank you very much.

I've got an 88 with a problem that sounds a lot like this...except mine just wont go into the lock position every once in a while. If I try to force it it may get jammed up, so I normally just leave the wheel unlocked. I havent taken the time to figure out whats wrong with it yet though, so all I can say is good luck!

Guy at work had a similar problem.
Dropped his keys in the snow, didn't wipe them off before he put them in the ignition for his 2 min drive home.
Next morning he couldn't turn the ignition at all, frozen.

Had a similar problem. My key would go in but I couldnt turn it. Each time i would have to hammer/beat it with an axe can and it would usually end up turning. In the end I had to get all the lock cylinders reprogramed for my keys.

my lock cylinder stuck with the ignition on. kept having to pull the main wire on the computer to shut down the engine. a new lock cylinder from napa cost me less than $20 . get a steering wheel puller and pull your wheel it will be much easier to work with. also there is an actual switch that is located on the steering column approx half way down its a sizeable white deal with a metal rod that goes up to your lock cylinder. check that it is not jammed or broken in some way. I have an 88 4dr with tilt.

I've got an 88 with tilt and have a similar problem, but backward. Sometimes I can't get my key out. I've found that if I run the shifter up and back between 1 and P and finally put it in P with "authority" it frees up. Weather doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Any ideas? I'm figuring it's somethign with the shift lock, but I don't understand any of that.

My 96 did the same thing. Replace the ignition switch. Drawback is you have a key for the door and another for the ignition. Got mine from the salvage yard. Pull the steering column cover and if I remember right there are four screws holding it in. Takes 20 minuted provided you have the funny tool needed to get the column cover off. Hope this helps

xjwisconsin said:
also there is an actual switch that is located on the steering column approx half way down its a sizeable white deal with a metal rod that goes up to your lock cylinder. check that it is not jammed or broken in some way.

The actual ignition switch is your problem, not the lock cylinder. Check/replace that, you should be fine.

It happened this morning. I noticed that down on the column before the tilt, when I'm trying to turn the key and get it out it looks like something's trying to poke out of there.

I'm gonna look at it this weekend. Finally getting some time to work on my Jeep. :)

Not turning to start is probably either the lock cylinder or the ignition switch, but if the lock cylinder won't turn back to the "lock" postition it is probably the shift interlock cable. I made that mistake recently when my shift interlock cable was stuck, and didn't figure it out until after I had taken the column apart.

Back