• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 9" / dana 44 spline upgrade ???

kpowning

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 81 bronco ford 9" with 31 spline and installed it in my 89 jeep xj. The question that I have is what upgrades are available for this 9".

Can you instantly upgrade to 35 spline axles without any mods or what can you upgrade to without huge modifications?

Then I purchased a dana 44 high pinion out of and early 70's model f150 with 31spline axles. Again what upgrades are available?

kpowning said:
I bought a 81 bronco ford 9" with 31 spline and installed it in my 89 jeep xj. The question that I have is what upgrades are available for this 9".

Can you instantly upgrade to 35 spline axles without any mods or what can you upgrade to without huge modifications?

Then I purchased a dana 44 high pinion out of and early 70's model f150 with 31spline axles. Again what upgrades are available?

I'm not a axle expert by any means but....

Moser has 35 and even 40 spline shafts for the ford 9.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Axles/customalloy.html

If you change your shafts to more splines you will have to change your carrier/locker to match.

Strange has 35 and 40 spline spools for the ford 9".
ARB makes a 35 spline locker for the ford 9".

I have read it is possible to run 35 spline shafts in a front d44 using d60 outers, but I can't confirm.

Personally I'm using 30 spline Moser 4340 shafts in my front d44, and 35 spline Yukon alloy shafts in my rear d60.

If you are going to install new full lockers then upgrading to higher splines might be viable. If you don't want to replace your carriers/lockers just go with alloy shafts with stock spline count.

I think you need a 3rd member for the 9" to run 35 spline shafts. but I am not too sure

Pretty sure if you already have a 31 spline 9er all you need is a 35/40 spline spool, the 3rd is already a big bearing 3rd.

As for the 44 I think there are a couple 33 spline lockers for the rear ( b ut these will work in the front as well) then all you have to do is find shafts. I would just go alloys with some aftermarket joints for the front.

Hope that helps.

The stock 3rd member up to 3.0625"(?) bearing will not accept 35+ spline shafts, you need the bigger i think 3.25"(?) bearing case.

Simo said:
The stock 3rd member up to 3.0625"(?) bearing will not accept 35+ spline shafts, you need the bigger i think 3.25"(?) bearing case.

Correct, a new third member is needed to run 35 spline shafts. Detroit and ARB make locking diffs.

33 and 35 spline carriers are also available for the Dana 44, front or rear. You can have a 35 spline shaft made with a 760 sized yoke. Call CTM Racing for that part.

None of the above is cheap.

Well thanks for the correction then. So with the 9er if you have the 31 spline the ends of the axle is the part you don't have to worry about?

Correct.

What size tires are you running? several are running up to 37's on the stock spline count and alloy shafts with few issues from what I have read.

Another few more pieces of information:

You can run 35 spline shafts in the 2.892 and 3.063 cases but only in a full spool. I believe Moser, Dutchman, and Yukon all have them.

You can run 35 spline shafts in the small bearing housing ends also. Moser stocks a bearing that will work with the more common 1.562 bearing journal and the small Ford OD. It's a ball bearing design like the original small bearing so I'm not sure how they hold up. The one I did a month ago still only has about 1000 miles on it.

I dont understand what exactly a full spool is? Can someone explain to me please? Thanks for all of your input it is greatly appreciated.

a full spool is a permanent locker with no moving parts that replaces your entire carrier. Type in 31 spline 9" spool on ebay and youll find some for ~$70. Alternative spools would be to retain your carrier and weld the spider gears, or replace the spider gears with a mini spool(9"~$15).

Back