• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spitten and sputtering

MadMrJake

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have been having this problem with my 88 XJ. First off it has been really hard to start, I have to let it turn over for about 1 minute before it starts; then when it does start it’s like it take a minute to get going. Last weekend I took the throttle body off and cleaned it along the rail and the injectors and replaced the O-ring. Think that it was a problem with the rail holding the pressure. I also cleaned the Choke. I did not touch the TPS. At first, I could feel a major change. It started right up, when I took it out for a test drive there was a lot more power. However, I had to drive it that night right a way I lost power, it started spitting and backfiring. The only time it would run smoothly is when I hold the gas peddle all the way down… any thoughts?

First thing, Get a pressure gauge and check the rail for pressure after the rig is shut down itshould hold PSI I cant remember how much though. Once you have that cleared up. (and it isnt the problem)
Is it possible that the CPS is slightly pulled back out of position or its going south? Did the MAP sensor line come off the TB? You have a renix and they are dependant on most of the sensors working togeather to make the system work correctly,So check the CPS then check the Map sensor and the vacumn line to the TB, after that the egr valve under the exhaust on the drivers side, make sure that the rod moves up and down in the bell shaped valve and that you have the vacumn line on it with no leaks there. These are soem of the "usual suspects" when you have a problem like you are describeing.
Although after reading your post again. It really might be your Fuel pressure regulator or pump. But you will find that out with a pressure gauge. Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

I had the same problem and a friend suggested that I take off the coil to inspect it. I did and it was all cracked. I replaced it with an MSD high energy and it runs SWEET. Check the coil out and it might be that simple of a fix

MadMrJake said:
OK I have been having this problem with my 88 XJ. First off it has been really hard to start, I have to let it turn over for about 1 minute before it starts; then when it does start it’s like it take a minute to get going. Last weekend I took the throttle body off and cleaned it along the rail and the injectors and replaced the O-ring. Think that it was a problem with the rail holding the pressure. I also cleaned the Choke. I did not touch the TPS. At first, I could feel a major change. It started right up, when I took it out for a test drive there was a lot more power. However, I had to drive it that night right a way I lost power, it started spitting and backfiring. The only time it would run smoothly is when I hold the gas peddle all the way down… any thoughts?

Did you get the TPS wet?
I read here and other places that the TPS is real bad about giving up when it gets wet.

The wires that goes to the distributor can be coroded.
Also check the distributor be sure it's tight don't ask.

73's KG4BET

Back