• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best tool for pulling rear wheel bearings on a D35 w/ c clips?

Nine Mile

NAXJA Forum User
What is a puller that is going to work well and where should I acquire it? I have a leaky seal on mt D35 and want to do all the beraings while I am in there.

I hear about a couple different types, anyone know which is going to make removal the easiest on me?

i guess you know first to remove the rear cover to remove the c-clips... but will include that for some that don't...

on the cheep... you "may" can either remove your drum or rotor, then flip it over and slide over the wheel stud.
install the lug nuts about 3-6 turns on the studs, don't tighten up though.

use the rotor or drum as a slide hammer it should not mess up your studs.

if the bearing fit is extremely tight... then a slide hammer type tool, either purchased or on 'loan a tool' from the stores.

thall said:
i guess you know first to remove the rear cover to remove the c-clips... but will include that for some that don't...

on the cheep... you "may" can either remove your drum or rotor, then flip it over and slide over the wheel stud.
install the lug nuts about 3-6 turns on the studs, don't tighten up though.

use the rotor or drum as a slide hammer it should not mess up your studs.

if the bearing fit is extremely tight... then a slide hammer type tool, either purchased or on 'loan a tool' from the stores.

prior to 1991 the D35 did not have c -clips for those you either cut them off the shaft or have them pressed off

1991 and late uses c cllips and still need to have the actual bearing pressed off the shaft the race sits loose in the housing

Take a 3' piece of chain make sure it fits over the stud and put on a lug nut to hold it on. Now use the chain as a whip flik it hard and poof the axel is out... Dido on the c clips I used a little magnet to take off and install back on..

Good Luck!

I had the shafts out recently and they came right out.

Just curious about the actual puller for the bearing that is left in the tube after they come out and after I get the seal out.

thanks for clarification on C-clip years....

That is correct, the bearings have to be pressed off of the shafts, but you have to pull the axle assembly out of the housing... with the bearing on it...

the C clip rests inside of the carrier and prevents the axle from coming out of the spider gears and differential carrier...

Ive never had to use a slide hammer or other to take the axle out. just either the the c-clips and slide out or the 4 nuts and tap out either way very easy

ATTENTION!!! THE REAR WHEEL BEARINGS ON A DANA 35 WITH C CLIPS ARE IN THE END OF THE AXLE TUBE!!!

AFTER REMOVING THE C-CLIPS, YOU SLIDE THE SHAFTS OUT AND THEN USE A SLIDE HAMMER OR PULLER TO GET THE WHEEL BEARINGS OUT.

Stop being dumbasses and read the forking post!!!

Sorry, I just had to.

Nine Mile said:
Thanks. That was what I was looking for pretty much but also very expensive too.

The way I see it. If you buy the tool, you get it for free. Otherwise you have to pay a mechanic 40 to 60 dollars and hour to do the work for you.

So, if you use that set of pullers 4 times, it has paid for itself.

Or, I was going to add, you can just buy the heads for the slide hammer.

The little "t" heads that is. Or even ask the guy on the tool truck for just the attacment you need for your application. IT will probably cost about 30 to 40 bucks.

KarlVP said:
ATTENTION!!! THE REAR WHEEL BEARINGS ON A DANA 35 WITH C CLIPS ARE IN THE END OF THE AXLE TUBE!!!

AFTER REMOVING THE C-CLIPS, YOU SLIDE THE SHAFTS OUT AND THEN USE A SLIDE HAMMER OR PULLER TO GET THE WHEEL BEARINGS OUT.

Stop being dumbasses and read the forking post!!!

Sorry, I just had to.

So Im a dumbass because IVe done this a thousand times

the 90- is pressed onto the axle shaft and I might have worded it incorrectly but the 4 bolts that retain the brake assembly also hold in the bearing into the housing. and Ive never had to use anything like a slide hammer to remove them.

rockwerks said:
nine mile what year?

98 with c clips, half of these people are giving advice for the wrong years(s).

On mine, like any other c clip axle, the bearings stay in the end of the tube after you pull the shafts.

I was just looking for the best slide hammer for the job......

Nine Mile said:
98 with c clips, half of these people are giving advice for the wrong years(s).

On mine, like any other c clip axle, the bearings stay in the end of the tube after you pull the shafts.

I was just looking for the best slide hammer for the job......

the more the fingers on the slide hammer the better the distribution of force. mine has 4 fingers. But Ive never had to use on a dana 35, Including yesterday

If you have an AutoZone near by the will loan you the slide hammer and the puller attatchment. I made one out of an old 2 jaw puller that had the same threads as my slide hammer... then later realised AutoZone did have the correct puller, they just didn't know it. good luck

Back