• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear ratio???

akamcbird

NAXJA Forum User
trying to find my stock ratio ive looked all over

ive got an '86 mj w\ gm 2.8l v6
torqueflight 904 3 speed automatic
NP207 Command-Trac
d35\d30

can anyone help

The best info I could find says you most likely have 3.55's. but I looked it up on the net, and anybody can post whatever they want on the net. here's the link: http://www.jeepiki.com/wiki/index.php/MJ_Comanche
you could also put the rear on jacks, put the t-case in nuetral, and count how many times you have to ratate the drive shaft to get 1 tire rotation. (If you get desperate.)

If its stock that my get you what ya want but if it been modified the sky the limit, on what ratio you have.

Why don't you want to spin the tire to fig it out?

If you were going to service the diff,.....then counting the teeth would be the most accurate.

Flash.

Good luck on having the dealer check....it seems that AMC wasn't real good at keeping records back in those days...I tried that with my '85XJ and my '86 MJ....they could not find either in the data base.

My guess, with auto trans is 3.73....just a guess...another option is to get the BOM numbers off the axle tube if its not rusty....and look it up thru Dana. Are BOTH axles missing the ID tags??? (assuming this is a 4x4).

Or pull the cover and count teeth.

The counting rotations works well. Just do it three or 4 times and you can get dead on.

Back