• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toy 8",whos done it?

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
So after some thinking and some trading I ended up with a 94 yota v6 rear. 4.88's,disc brakes,5x5.5 drilled 4340 axles, and a detroit. I was originally planning on horse trading it for a ford 9 then i got to thinking about putting it underneath my xj. I cant really see anything too bad about it since its got all the work already there and the bolt pattern to match my LP44. Width is an issue but nothign some spacers wont fix and it wont be seeing any other tire than my 35's. Im just wondering if someone else has swapped one in. How is the LP compared to a 9"? What flange would i need to mate up 1310 joints? Is there room to shave the houseing a bit? Any help is appreciated.

keep the yota axle. better clearance and stout enough! Yes Jess at High angle can gete you the spicer adapter for the yota 4 bolt pattern to 1310 U joint, got mine yesterday

The Yota 8" is an awesome axle. I just swapped one under mine from a '97 4Runner with the factory E-Locker. The LP is not as low as the 9" and it has really great ground clearance. You can shave the housing, I believe there are some good write ups on that over at pirate4x4. x2 on giving Jesse a call. I got my flange adapter from him. Great guy to work with. I think the cut off year for the 8" being 60" WMS is '96 and newer. So, you would need to run wheel spacers since the older 8" are 58" WMS. I am running 1" wheel spacers because the IROKS are sooooooo wide there was about an 1/8th between the sidewall and the leaf springs. Here are some pics from the swap.
P1010065.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010063.jpg

P1010066.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.
-Matt

Yea, there is a drain plug on the bottom and the fill is on the back of the housing. I'm going to build a little skid for the drain plug so it doesn't get so mashed up that I can't change the fluid with ease.

DirtyMJ said:
Got the P/N on that flange?

If it's the same as the one I used for my zuzu to 1310 I'll be annoyed...
I don't know the part number. I just called up Jesse and told him what I needed and he got it for me. You could give him a call and ask.

XJ_Jeeper01 said:
Yea, there is a drain plug on the bottom and the fill is on the back of the housing. I'm going to build a little skid for the drain plug so it doesn't get so mashed up that I can't change the fluid with ease.
I wheel a Toyota p/u and am constantly knocking my front drain plug loose (it'll actually unscrew itself when you drag it over rocks) some guys replace the hex head plugs with low profile allen head plugs (available from places like Marlin Crawler) or, like what I'll probably do, shave the ring around the plug and cap and weld it shut, then replace the two bottom studs with bolts. That way you can just take out the bolts to drain the diff oil--------Hans

i was under the impression if you used the older 8" you would have to move the leafs inboard due to the width. i swapped in an 8.4", which is a direct swap. Same as stock width, maybe a little wider, and same bolt pattern. Unfortunately it doesn't quite have the aftermarket parts like the 8", but i still have an arb in mine.

Got my adapter ordered and the old perches knocked off. What did everyone set their pinion angle at? Thanks for the pics and everything made this job a lot easier than I had orginally thought!

My pinion angle is at whatever it looked good at with weight on it.
Just mock it up, put the perches on without weld, and rotate the pinion to where it looks nice and tack it, then take it out again and weld it better

I just wanted to add another go to Jesse at High Angle recommendation, called him up Tuesday and two days later I had the part. Absolutely great service.

Later,
Joe

How hard are wheel spacers on your axle components when you run them in the rear? Ive heard they are pretty hard on wheel bearings...the reason im asking is because a freind is willing to give me an 88 toyota 8" for free, and as mentioned before the wms width is 58" si i would need spacers. Not sure if i should search for a newer axle or. I have the waggy LP44 waiting for a match, trying to go the cheap route for now.

88poohxj said:
How hard are wheel spacers on your axle components when you run them in the rear? Ive heard they are pretty hard on wheel bearings...the reason im asking is because a freind is willing to give me an 88 toyota 8" for free, and as mentioned before the wms width is 58" si i would need spacers. Not sure if i should search for a newer axle or. I have the waggy LP44 waiting for a match, trying to go the cheap route for now.
Running wheel spacers are no different than using shallow backspaced wheels, as far as bearing stresses are concerned. Just make sure that they're torqued to spec and use Loctite on the inner studs. I've been running 1 1/2" wheel spacers on my Toyota's front end (to match the 3" wider rearend) for over 4yrs now and have never had any bearing issues and have never had to retorque them (Locktite red works great!)---------Hans

as much as i hate to say it i really like the idea of toyo axles for the rear.

i see a trick 35 spline upgrade is out on the market from randys as well!

Back