• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Compressor Location

IH8RDS

NAXJA Forum User
The wife just bought me an ARB compressor and locker for the 30 and I was curious to know where you all with the larger ARB compressor mounted yours at. I have seen above the brake booster, on the frame (to low for my blood) and where the air box goes (wont work for me because I have a snorkel).

Those who use this particular compressor please share your experiences and locations.

Thanks,
Scott

To the left of the MC and just in front of the shock mount!

There are several mounting options; I choose to remove my stock air box replacing it with a cone. I then rerouted it over on the passenger side of block. The result was enough room to mount both the compressor and a second battery. Probably not the best solution, but it's worked acceptably.

Hope this helps.

i run a renix rig with the pressure bottle, on the firewall of the passenger side. My arb compressor is mounted to the bottom of the plate the pressure bottle sits in, and hangs there. Been there since early 2005 with no problems.

got the big ARB compressor, just runs a front locker. got it mounted under the backseat.

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01462.jpg

The air line runs out an existing hole from my stock ABS cables.

pics aren't show up? anyone else not see them? I don't have anything setup on my site to block images, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be showing up...

The seat muffles the noise pretty well, you can still hear it though. Only running a single locker the compressor doesn't cycle very often, and when it does it's only on for a matter of seconds.

All the supplied wiring/etc was long enough for install in that location.

Switches are up on the dash in the panel to the left of the stereo (old body style XJ).

Jeepin Jason said:
pics aren't show up? anyone else not see them? I don't have anything setup on my site to block images, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be showing up...

The seat muffles the noise pretty well, you can still hear it though. Only running a single locker the compressor doesn't cycle very often, and when it does it's only on for a matter of seconds.

All the supplied wiring/etc was long enough for install in that location.

Switches are up on the dash in the panel to the left of the stereo (old body style XJ).

It could be my firewall at work. I'll check when I get home.

If my rig hadn't originally come with ABS I would have mounted it on the fender in front of the brake booster, but that's where my ABS pump still resides (too lazy to pull it and replumb the lines).

I mounted mine in the rear side panel. I was worried it would be noisy but it's not. It's also runs much cooler there than under the hood.

ARB-comp.jpg

This photo was taken before the solenoids were mounted but it's still neat and tidy with them in.

As far as I can remember I only had to extend the main 30 amp cables and the red/yellow. I used the original ARB wiring harness and put my own switches in the center console. I extended a power feed from the fuse box under the hood and made the join in the center console. The ARB fuse holder/fuse and relay are easily accessible alongside the compressor. The red/yellow was 'T'd to the 12v outlet in the dash. I may move this as the outlet's fuse blows when I have stuff plugged into the socket and have both lockers on too long!

ARB-switches.jpg

If you are thinking of mounting your compressor in the same place you will probably need to use a piece of 1/2" plywood as a stiffener like I did. The plywood I used was cut the same shape as the recess on the other side of the panel.

ARB-ply.jpg

Quick question for anyone. The ARB compressor was installed when I bought the jeep. My rear windshield wiper doesn't get any power, so when I investigated. I assuming that the compressor is wired into the fuse holder slot for the rear wiper. Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I don't know what the compressor is rated at for amperage, plus has anyone removed the fuse block to gain access to the rear for wiring?

Back