• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nutsert Part Number

I had already gotten the part. I just wasn't sure it was the right thing. I was trying to figure out "how in the hell will that go in there". I'll take a look at my "mounting hole" tomorrow. Thanks!

There's a couple different holes in that area, but only one of them lines up with the factory skid. Crawl under and hold the skid up in it's mounted position, and one of the two slots in the frame end of the skid will line up with the hole you need to put the nutsert in. Have fun!

Jeff

Do you know of any places that might rent the tool out? I called up my local stealership and they wanted $47 labor to put it in! :flamemad:
Or, are there ways to get around installing it without using the tool. I had someone recommend tack welding it to the frame rail and then using a bolt to crush the sleeve, but I don't have any welding ability nor friends who do... :tear:

I got away with using some washers and vise grips when I did 3 of them for my wife's ZJ. Put a bunch of washers on the bolt and thread it into the nutsert. Stick it in the hole and then put some vise grips on the nutsert (and washers that it grabs - so they need to have the same outside diameter) as TIGHT as you can. Then tighten it down until the nutsert is grabbing the body and not spinning. The remove all the washers and tighten down completely. Kind of a PAIN.

I just bought some more from a local fastener shop, they suggested to put a nut on the bolt, screw the bolt into the nutsert, then tighten the nut against the nutsert while holding the bolt still. I haven't tried that yet, but it may just unthread the nutsert and not work. It's worth a try.

If those don't work, I'd find someone to tack weld it before I'd buy the tool.

Back