• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uber-blowby

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have noticed that my 4.0 has been putting out quite a bit of oil latly. It does not look to be coming from the front seal, the rear could be leaking, I am going to replace it next week, but there is quite alot of oil on the front of the engine. Most of the oil looks to be coming out of the air box, and the rear of the airfilter is covered in oil. When I parked my jeep there are about 3 or 4 oil spots under it from oil dripping off of the underbody. The top of the valve cover has a bit of oil on it, as do the sides of the block (I think its possible that one of the CCV lines up top might be leaking). Any how, while removing the serpantine belt (I have another thread running on that topic) I decided to pick up a gasket and remove the valve cover, and I am cleaning up the flapper valves and cleaning out the coaking deposits on the inside of the valve cover and installing a new gasket to see if this helps. On that note I have also noticed that the valley in the rocker arms for cylinder #4 and #5 are pretty dry, with #4 being the driest. The rocker arms for other cylinders do have oil in them, and now that I think about it occasionally i do have a bit of a tap from the valve lifters towards the middle of the enigine, could this be the cause?

I just did most of this on my 87 2dr.
Oil on passenger side of block?
Check the oil boss that connects the oil filter, replace the O-Rings I don't remember the sizes Napa closed Kragen only had 1 of 2 so I used a little permatex gasket maker in the the gasket channel flipped the O-Ring put a little more gasket maker tighten oil boss bolt.
Oil on the driver side fender well, from air box?
Usually clogged C.C.V. system or worn rings. Try a compression test to eliminate rings and big $$ fix(stroker ... hint hint) or try cleaning the 2.6mm orafice on valve cover and the vac. line going to intake manifold. Also try the inline soup can filter to air box.
Oil on valve cover?
Replace oil cap and grommet for fresh air line for valve cover. I replaced mine with a simple GM replacement part and rubber line.
Dry rockers try cleaning rods with pipe cleaner, lube and replace.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Frinds don't let friends ride JUNK

Back