• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pressure in the coolant hoses

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
How long do your radiator hoses stay pressurized after you shut down the engine?? Kind of a strange question i'm sure. I'm just a hypochondriac. The top rad. hose seems to loose pressure about 10-15 mins after running. Is this normal. It is 3 degrees outside. New 16lbs. cap as well. Temp gauge still cycles up and down from 170-210 constantly... Driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Pressure in the cooling system is due to temperature - so it should cool off faily quickly, which would lower system pressure.

However, stop worrying. My mother-in-law is a hypochondriac (with a whole host of self-inflicted REAL health problems, she's got to go making more up...) and it gets on my nerves. As long as you aren't overheating, you aren't likely to have any pressure leaks. As long as you aren't losing coolant, you don't have pressure leaks. What's to worry about?

This isn't symptomatic of anything, so quit your worrying. Why buy trouble when you get enough for free?

mrtosh said:
How long do your radiator hoses stay pressurized after you shut down the engine?? Kind of a strange question i'm sure. I'm just a hypochondriac. The top rad. hose seems to loose pressure about 10-15 mins after running. Is this normal. It is 3 degrees outside. New 16lbs. cap as well. Temp gauge still cycles up and down from 170-210 constantly... Driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Sounds normal to me. Leave the hypochondriasis to the mothers-in-law.

Back