• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil filter adapter bolt direction

Renegade

NAXJA Forum User
Yes Ive read the write ups and searched.

Ive got a 96 with the 4.0 and changed the o rings on the oil filter adapter.
The bolt has a hole through it that looks like oil would flow through. My question is i was wondering if the hole in the bolt is for oil to flow through to the filter, if so how do i torque it to 75 and line up the hole. The jeep drives fine but i was just wondering if the bolt had to be on any specific way.

Thanks

Renegade said:
Yes Ive read the write ups and searched.

Ive got a 96 with the 4.0 and changed the o rings on the oil filter adapter.
The bolt has a hole through it that looks like oil would flow through. My question is i was wondering if the hole in the bolt is for oil to flow through to the filter, if so how do i torque it to 75 and line up the hole. The jeep drives fine but i was just wondering if the bolt had to be on any specific way.

Thanks

The answer is no, there is no alignment needed. The hole does not line up with anything, it spills out into a larger round cavity. So "no worrys mate";)!

I need to change mine on my 96 also. Which type of T-60 socket/wrench did you use. It looks pretty tight in there.

tom96xj said:
I need to change mine on my 96 also. Which type of T-60 socket/wrench did you use. It looks pretty tight in there.

It is pretty tight...there is no way around that. Do a search on here for it, some people have come up with their "own" T60 bit and made the job a lot easier.

Myself, I didn't have the tools like the others did, I had to go out and buy a T60 as this is the first time i've ever needed one. I went to sears and got one on a 1/2" drive (Leslie was the brand IIRC). I ended up having to losen the motor mounts and raise the motor up enough to get enough clearence to take the stupid bolt out. Once I had the room, the rest of the job took no more than 10 minutes.

Who ever decided to make that a T60 bolt is a freakin idiot. I'm getting ready to do the same job on a ZJ, but there is more clearence on those Jeeps, so I should be able to do it much much quicker.

Ya i heard all the rumor's of how hard it was to change (mines a renix with a 5/8 head) borrowed a t 60 bit and a wrench and a long cheater pipe.

end up with a ratchet and a long piece of pipe that i didn't us. it probably had 10 pound of torq on the nut. was i lucky?.........Yes but i thing the Renix eng are a little bit easer just because of the bolt instead of the t-60.

all the o-ring in there were hard as a rock.

Now just waiting for all the oil residue to stop dripping to See if the fix all my oil leak or if i will have to tackle the rear main next.:dunno:

Flash.

Yeah it will be quite clear as to why your seal was leaking once you get it out. Mine had probably about 1/3 of it that was as flat as a pancake and hard as a rock. One of those deals that make you say "ohh so that's why it was leaking..."

Flash said:
Ya i heard all the rumor's of how hard it was to change (mines a renix with a 5/8 head) borrowed a t 60 bit and a wrench and a long cheater pipe.

end up with a ratchet and a long piece of pipe that i didn't us. it probably had 10 pound of torq on the nut. was i lucky?.........Yes but i thing the Renix eng are a little bit easer just because of the bolt instead of the t-60.

all the o-ring in there were hard as a rock.

Now just waiting for all the oil residue to stop dripping to See if the fix all my oil leak or if i will have to tackle the rear main next.:dunno:

Flash.

Don't scare people it is not "Hard"!!! :doh: The hard part is you don't have the tool so you have to goto the store to get the dang torx bit.

It is just a PITA to break that torx bolt.

Once you break it, it is flying colors from then on.

The reason it is tightly on there is because of the caked on oil that has been leaking.

To be honest it was easy (just add 30mins on to a oil change, if that)

Oh yeh I have a bad felling about that rear main seal, mines leaking too

I think why some of them are so tight also, is because they are not that tight and the try to reef on them hoping, that they won't have to change them!:looney:

Flash.

This is the torx L-key I used.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E62MRY/002-8124598-0238450

I pulled the starter for more room to work and then attached an 18" breaker bar to the L-key.

128101.jpg

Back