• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

105 bender dies?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I got a bender and now I need dies. I was thinking 1.5 and 1.75 round. I wanted 4" radius but the 105 only has a 6" for the 1.75 tube and I think I saw a 4.5" for the 1.5 tube. I am thinking about exocage stuff with 1.5 and a mix od 1.5 and 1.75 for the internal cage. All .120 wall by the way. Is this thinking right and does anyone know of a source for the tighter dies? Or am I stuck with what is out there?

You don't want anything tighter. Notice how the thinnest recommended tubing goes up as the radius gets tighter. It starting kinking and the tubing gets thinned more on the ouside as the radius gets tighter. Both cause a strenth loss.

Ok, ty. I thought that the 4" was what I would want for the 1.75", but I don't want it weak.

4" would almost be a 90 degree elbow. Someone must have been talking to you about poop pipe. :D

Lincoln said:
You don't want anything tighter. Notice how the thinnest recommended tubing goes up as the radius gets tighter. It starting kinking and the tubing gets thinned more on the ouside as the radius gets tighter. Both cause a strenth loss.

just to echo that - when bending 1.25x.065 in the JD2 Model 3 (basically the same bender) we kink bends over about 75* with a 1.25 x 3.5 CLR die set - but the bends are really tight...

For jeep use - I think that 5.5 - 6.5 CLR die sets would be just fine... thought bending .120 wall would be much easier...

I use the 1.75x6x240 die in my 105 and it works fine, I also have the 1.5x4.5x240. This isn't an XJ cage but it is an example of what the bender can do:
mattscage.jpg

Almost done with it just need to tie the seats into the cage and add some door bars :skull1:

Back