• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 XJ Rear disk brake converison questions

Beached Bones

NAXJA Forum User
I've been collecting information on doing a rear disk conversion for my 2000 XJ 4.0L Auto 242, Chry 8 1/4 rear. Please help me figure out if I have it strait. I am phoning for parts so years and specifics are most helpfull.

The conversions I'm looking at are the Liberty, and Grand Cherokee brakes.

For the Liberty Brakes, I am unsure of the years, 03+ maybe? I understand the backing plate and everything bolts up with no modification to the 8 1/4 rear I have in. But the rear brake flex lines do not match up with the cherokee hard lines. I heard a simple fix is to get flex lines from a TJ Rubicon? and this will bolt to the cherokee hardlines and liberty calipers? If so what year Rubicons? Also is parking brake cable modifications necessary?

For the Grand Cherokee brakes, The years to look for are 94-98, the parts list, lists spicer 33 and spicer 44 axels, does it matter which it comes from? Then i understand the backing plate needs to be clearanced around the axel. The brake lines need to be swapped driver's to passenger's side. And the XJ's hard lines are bent. Then the Parking brake cable needs to be modified.

I'm guessing the Grand parts would be cheaper and more available, but other than that is there good reasons to do one over the other?

I'm running discs on mine. I got the parts from a 95 grand with abs and a dana 35. I had to open up the center hole in the backing plate about 1/32", just used a sanding drum in my drill, took about a minute for each one. I used the ZJ flex lines and ziptied them to the spring plates to keep them out of the way and then I ran new hard lines so everything lined up fine. Never had a working e-brake so I didn't hook it back up.

Back