• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to paint plastic parts

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a new header panel and the frames that go around the front headlights. The existing grill is black, the frames are chrome, and the header panel is white.

I want them all to be black. Can I just buy a can of spray paint and paint over them? If so, what type should I use?

Is there any prep that needs to be done, especially on the "chrome" parts?

I'm new to this so please if you are wondering whether or not to state the obvious, please do. Thanks.

Sell the Chrome parts and buy some plain black ones or some painted ones. The plastic chrome might not take paint very well. Try www.certi-fit.com or www.quadratec.com for new (no painting needed) and www.car-part.com for used. Or look on eBay.

Wash the parts with detergent and water and dry them ( oil or grease and paint disagree). Sand with 320 or 400 grit sand paper. Sand back and forth in one direction, not round and round or criss/cross. Blow off any sanding dust and lint. Spray several light coats instead of one or two heavy coats (which will run and sag). Use spray paint for plastic and metal, automotive paint is not needed for black. Use the expensive stuff, cheap paint can be off color, dry dull or cover poorly.

i had some lights that were crome and i painted them black by first lightly sand the serface just to give the paint something to stick too, give it really light coats so the paint dosent run (the more you sand the less chance of this but stop if you start to see copper but if you do dont worry just take it easy on the rest of it, also i found that wet sanding works the best)
-Keep Jeepin

Lightly sand and/or 3M pad, wipe it down with Aceton. I've had good results with Grill paints (paint for the outdoor grill). Usually half flat and a nice finish. The first coat has to be light, too heavy and it will fish eye on you. Trying to paint over a fish eye is a waste of time, the paint gets thicker and the fish eye is still there.
Primers for galvanized metal, aluminum, stainless or chrome, often work well on plastics. But read the label, some will specify they can be used on plastic, some warn against it. Rustolium rusty metal primer is good stuff, it just has a long drying time. Krylon primer is good stuff also, wet sands OK, adheres well.
I've had good luck with Rustolium outdoor grill paint and spray Hammerite. The Hammerite chrome and aluminim primer is good on plastics (dries fast), the Hammerite (finish) paint is often hard to get a really nice finish on, but is usually on there to stay.
I've used the outdoor grill paint as a primer, works well, but you have to let it dry for a looong time (weeks or months), before you try the top coat. I've never tried a tack coat of grill paint and then a top coat of gloss, when the first coat tacks(15-30 minutes). It may work out, but I doubt it.
I painted a plastic chrome grill (the plastic chrome looked pretty bad) out of an 87, for my 88 (busted mine) about 4 years ago, with Rustolium outdoor grill paint, it still looks good. The grill paint seems to have just enough gloss properties, so it doesn't stain like regular flat paint does. They often call the half flat, a satin finish.
My chrome tow hooks, trailer hitch and some other stuff got a coat of hammerite chrome and aluminum primer and then a coat of Hammerite flat. My tow strap hasn't worn through the paint yet and it's still on there after three years.

Last edited:
Chero-King said:
As far as paint goes, try Krylon Fusion.
I personally haven't used it but I've heard it's the best paint for plastic. It says you don't need to sand, or prep at all. Just paint and go.
http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&productid=1751&content=product_details
Krylon Fusion is good stuff. I used on my fender flares came out great.
I lighhty sanded the plastic then prepped with rubbing alcohol but windex or some such would work.
Sam

I agree Krylon Fusion is great. I painted my bumpers and all the gold crap and then I painted my TJ Flares. Looks great to me too. I spraypaint all the time. If you scuff it the paint will stick. Being it's not metal it should scuff and stick easy and if it peels just sand again and paint. Here's mine

8May06002.jpg

It's not actual chrome. Just sand it down and then use a scratch pad before painting. if you don't do that the surface will be too smooth and the paint won't stick properly, or it will come out funny.

Good luck!

sometimes you can find Plastic Primer--meant for plastic patio furniture and the like. I just got another can of it at the local hardware store; Rustoleum brand. I've used it quite a bit, but like any other paint job, proper prep prevents piss-poor performance.

I painted a plastic grill insert and lower bumper valance on my pickup about 6 months ago with Krylon Fusion and it has held up very well. It sticks to plastic very well. Clean with acetone and you're good to go.

Back