• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good quality gear oil?!

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
hey i wannna know what oil you use for your diffs?! im not sure what my options are....thanks!

QS 80/90 or you could get fancy and use royal purple but it is real expensive, and real unnessary. If you have a limited slip you need a friction modifier. Simple. Good luck.:cheers:

go with synthetic ... like 75w20 i think...it is better for adverse conditions and keeps my detroit quiet not too much more

aparke4 said:
go with synthetic ... like 75w20 i think...it is better for adverse conditions and keeps my detroit quiet not too much more
75w-140 for the syn. Or reg 80w90 for the dino oil.If you tow the syn is the recomended lube.Friction modifier if you have a clutch type LSD.
Wayne

I use the cheapest 90w I can buy. I change it once a year. Never had any problems in 40+ years of driving and wheeling.

ok thanks...do u have the brand..i saw quaker state 80/90w!!thanks alot:D!o ps there both open so...

I agree 100% with the old man.

Besides, it is well known that dino oil is superior to syn for corrosion protection when it comes to moisture.

AND, -lastly, -you're probably gonna break it before you wear it out anyway, -so who cares, -buy the cheap stuff and save your hard earned coin for stuff that matters.

ratman572 said:
I agree 100% with the old man.

Besides, it is well known that dino oil is superior to syn for corrosion protection when it comes to moisture.

AND, -lastly, -you're probably gonna break it before you wear it out anyway, -so who cares, -buy the cheap stuff and save your hard earned coin for stuff that matters.

I 2nt that or is that 3d if your towing(highway speed HI load) syn!

if you do a lot of off roading you will pass thru that creak or river that will req ya to change your lube,........atleast once a year. standard old 80/90 for me!:)

Flash.

what type of gasket do u use when putting the cover back on?

blackdoutxj said:
what type of gasket do u use when putting the cover back on?

Black RTV. That way no one can tell how sloppy you are when it gets messy. Clean off the old stuff on the cover, and the axle...then apply it to the cover...let it set for about 5 mintues...put cover on.

Go eat a sandwhich or something, then come back and fill it up with gear oil.

awsome thanks every1 for the help:D!

:repair:

Use Lube Locker Gaskets. They are re-usable many times. No mess. no leak. Really worth the money. I've had my diff covers off numerous times and they are still working great.

Kevin's Offroad in Phoenix carries them. Here's a link. look at the bottom of the page.

http://kevinsoffroad.com/lubelockers.html

I used 50/50 Valvoline Synthetic and Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the diffs, transfer case, and use the Lucus Power Steering treatment, and one quart of the Lucus in the Transmission, and Lucus Oil stabalizer in the enjine at each oil change with my Mobil 1 15,000 mile synthetic. The Lucus products are unbeatable in my opinion.

Flying L

thanks for that ill prolly but a set for my diffs now!!!

I just did mine with Valvoline 75W90 regular gear oil and used the red high temp rtv silicone (because its what I had from another job) although you can see where the new rtv is, it sealed up nice.

I found some slick 50 gear oil and have used that for my last couple of changes. Oh, and I put the litle dribble that the pumper can't reach into my wormdrive skilsaw! Ive read some threads claiming that the PTFE (the active ingredient) is pretty toxic when it gets very hot, as in the engine oil, but neither the diff and skilsaw see the same type of heat. Usually.

Dupont, the company that discovered TEFLON (a.k.a. PTFE) and developed uses for it over 70 years, refused to sell PTFE to the Slick 50 company, because they did NOT want to be associated with Snake Oil salesmen. Slick 50 is only still available because they were successful in their lawsuit that it was unfair for DuPont NOT to sell PTFE to them just because they disagreed with their product.

TEFLON coating requires a sophisticated process where the coated item has to be in a vacuum, at extreme temps and electrically charged, etc. Any of those conditions are NOT met, the teflon will not coat, and none of those conditions are present in your engine/trans/PS/differential, etc.

BESIDES, if teflon coating engine parts really did reduce wear on engines, you would think DuPont would be doing it properly, or at least someone. Jet engines have billions spent on anti-wear coatings, the best right now are titanium derivatives, none are TEFLON. Have a TEFLON frying pan at home? Will the wife let you use it or wash it in the sink? Use any metal utensile or cleaning device on a teflon pan/pot and you destroy the teflon coating. So how exactly would this work for an engine?

People have done independent test on the Slick50 products and all agee that it doesn't do what is claimed. Inconsistantly, they do find some evidence that while the slick 50 is in the motor (with the PTFE particles) there is a slight drop in friction. But that disappears as soon as you change the oil and remove the PTFE particles. They hypothesise the PTFE particles themselves while present may reduce the friction somewhat, but it never leaves behind any kind of coating that does anything. They also hypothesise the minimal improvement of friction is NOT worth the risk of running oil with tons of particles in it, that can do more damage by clogging oil filters or passages and possibely contributing to deposits.

Oh, I just changed my axle oil with Mobil 1 75W-140 Synthetic. I cleaned the old RTV off the cover and flange with a 3M Scotch Brite Pad, there is nothing that beats it, ESPECIALLY when removing old gasket material from Aluminum. A medium bead of Black RTV, let it set for 20 minutes then put the cover on tighten the bolt fingure tight, just enough to get the RTV to start to squeeze out, then let set for another hour, then go back and tighten all the bolts fully and fill with oil.

My XJ is a 2WD, open differential, only driven on the street (my teenage daughters car), so I'm different. I'm just going to fill the axle with the best oil possible and leave it in there for several years. No LSD, No Off-Roading, I figure its NOT stressed enough to change the fluid every year if I use a really good fluid.

Back