• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to take Doors OFF??!!

When you go to remove the wiring, if you pull back the rubber hose thing that covers the wires, there should be a little clip right there that the door wiring plugs into.

The wiring isn't the tough part - it's the damn torx bolts on the hinges that's the real pain.

Its just hard to get a socket back there on a couple of emm, that and i suggest puttin a jack stand, or have a buddy hold the door up so that you dont break nothing

artsifrtsi said:
Why couldn't you replace the hinge pins with the locking/quick release type? Would that work?
Yes, it does work. You have to press cut out the OEM center pin and press them out (I did not have to remove the hinges). Then insert a removable pin or 3/8'' bolt. Dont expect your doors to line up perfectly ever again, but they will close. I did this last year and love it, but I rewired my doors and reversed the quick disconnects to be closer than stock. I can remove all 4 doors in around 10 minutes and put them back on in around 20 minutes, with no help and lots of practice.

The wiring can be more of a PIA than stated above. You have to remove the kick panels, and disconnect 3 connectors on the driver side, 4 connectors on the passenger side, one connector at each of the 2 rear doors, and finally unscrew and remove the door ajar/interior light switchs in the door jams.

Dont forget to get side mirrors to keep it legal (depending on state).

Good mod to improve vision and leg room. Worry about hitting the B-pillar on rocks or trees, as it will make your jeep doorless forever (maybe not forever, but untill you can do the body work):cheers:

Seems like this might compromise the stability and alignment of the unibody over time. Anyone been taking their doors off for years and find they don't quite line up perfectly anymore?

I did the doorless thing without having to remove any hinges. Takes about 10 seconds per door to take them off (just lift up and you're good), and about 20-30 to put them back on. Then just reconnect the wiring plug.

fubar XJ said:
Seems like this might compromise the stability and alignment of the unibody over time. Anyone been taking their doors off for years and find they don't quite line up perfectly anymore?

The doors don't really do that much IMO. They sag and misalign enough on their own. The tailgate, on the other hand, does a lot more.

vetteboy said:
The doors don't really do that much IMO. They sag and misalign enough on their own. The tailgate, on the other hand, does a lot more.

Ironic, given that the tailgate is fiberglass and the doors are metal. It makes sense that twisting up the suspension would try to tweak the square "box" into a "diamond".

Ben H said:
Yes, it does work. You have to press cut out the OEM center pin and press them out (I did not have to remove the hinges). Then insert a removable pin or 3/8'' bolt. Dont expect your doors to line up perfectly ever again, but they will close. I did this last year and love it, but I rewired my doors and reversed the quick disconnects to be closer than stock. I can remove all 4 doors in around 10 minutes and put them back on in around 20 minutes, with no help and lots of practice.

The wiring can be more of a PIA than stated above. You have to remove the kick panels, and disconnect 3 connectors on the driver side, 4 connectors on the passenger side, one connector at each of the 2 rear doors, and finally unscrew and remove the door ajar/interior light switchs in the door jams.

Dont forget to get side mirrors to keep it legal (depending on state).

Good mod to improve vision and leg room. Worry about hitting the B-pillar on rocks or trees, as it will make your jeep doorless forever (maybe not forever, but untill you can do the body work):cheers:

wat do u use for mirrors?

i don't know where people got them, but basically just whatever cheapo side mirrors with some metal bent into a bracket and then bolted to the door jamb.

XBoBJ said:
wat do u use for mirrors?
I got a mirror off of a TJ. I think I got it for under $20. Some paint, and a couple bolts, and I was good to go.

I dont have any pics of the mirror on, but you can see the mount in this picture on the fender.
Picture055.jpg

I dont think he had to cut that much off in the rear to fit those tires... lol.

Back