• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I just spent about an hour installing some Sony Xplode 5.25" 4 channel speakers into the rear of my XJ to replace the stock ones. Why do they sound WORSE, SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE than the stock speakers?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a good chance that you got the speakers out of phase with each other. Did you have a factory service manual that told you which wires were positive and negative? Alot of people think that black is always the negative, in some cases it is not......

XJ&TJ4ME said:
There is a good chance that you got the speakers out of phase with each other. Did you have a factory service manual that told you which wires were positive and negative? Alot of people think that black is always the negative, in some cases it is not......
Agreed. What are you using for a head unit? If you are using the stock unit and the speakers RMS power is a high rating may not be enough watts to power them correctly. Stock stereo is around 4 watts most aftermarket speaker require somewhere around 25 watts RMS Minimum power.

I'm using a Sony XPLODE GT-510 deck. I think I need an amp and a sub....but I'd rather have decent speakers and mud tires than a sweet sound-system and AT's ;)

How do you like the sony deck? I just ordered the exact same one yesterday. When you say they sound worse, are you refering to the bass? Most aftermarket speakers are made more for highs and mids(I think) rather than for bass. The bass will come from your sub.....Im not a car audio person by any means so if im wrong here, someone chime in.

Back