• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

optima batt.

I just took the red tops out of both of my Jeeps. Go over to JU and read the "Sudden Optima death" thread. There is a lot more victums of this than what I thought there was. I was a victim of sudden Optima death. The battery was only a year and a half old. Don't buy it!

shelbyluvv said:
I just took the red tops out of both of my Jeeps. Go over to JU and read the "Sudden Optima death" thread. There is a lot more victums of this than what I thought there was. I was a victim of sudden Optima death. The battery was only a year and a half old. Don't buy it!

they have a 2 year warranty i just bought a yellow top ive went through 3 batterys so far in two years so that alone made it worth it but check your warranty it may be worth while

I bought a used redtop and ran it down on 2 different occassions over the last year, and it is still working great. Whats the deal with the sudden death thing? sorry to hi-jack.

:doh: I've run Optimas for years and never a problem. I've had friends who within the first year had problems. It seems that if you have a good one it will be good for ever, and a bad one will not. I have a source where I get The redtops out of Highway patrol cars used only 1 year. I'm currently running one of those and no problemo. Had someone come get some of the XJ parts I advertised yesterday and he said his last Optima lasted almost 10 years. Unknown why they are so inconsistent. (maybe Optima comes from the root word "optional" and they are optional whether they work GOOD or like CRAP!!!).:wierd:

Flying L

I know tons of people who run Optimas without problems. On our way home from our last wheeling trip last weekend one guys alternator completley died, and he was able to drive on the highway at full speed with us for over an hour before his exit to go home came up.

I know another guy who got a yellow top, and it was dead from the factory, put it in, wouldn't start, charged it, and wouldn't hold a charge.

cal said:
To be 100% accurate, cherokee's are a group 58, not a group 34.

That would only be 100% accurate if Optima made a group 58. They don't. If you want to talk about percentages, your claim is then only 50% accurate if you weight the prerequisite of an Optima battery number for a Cherokee. :eeks1:

The deal is they just suddenly die. No warning, just dead. I know about the warranty but it is not worth it to me to have to wonder if the Jeep will start when my wife is out running around with the kids. The Optima in my XJ died 3 times without warning. Then my wife's WJ just up and died after she drove the Jeep for 2 hours. Went in a friends house to drop off some stuff, got back in the WJ to leave an hour later and it was DEAD! It would not even crank. I took them both out that day and went to NAPA and bout 2 new batteries.

Sorry for the high jack but please research before you spend $120+ on one battery.

I have a 25.00 Red Top reman in my TJ that's going on 6 years.

That said, I'm buying a deep cycle Orbital from Napa for the TJ, and the XJ is getting the old Red Top.

I dont know what you are talking about i have had my optima for 2+ years and its never had any problems. even was able to crank the engine when my [SIZE=-1]alternator[/SIZE] was dead 3 times(i like to play hard in the mud, this is my third alternator). Its never let me down, i saw get it!!! You wont regret it!!!

-Matt-

I bought a used red top, put it in 2 different cars over 3 years or so and was living in north dakota. Not once did that batt let me down, even in -35F

I have a Duralast battery that came in my XJ, I have ran it down numerous times listening to the radio while working outside or on my Jeep. It still has yet to let me down.

When it does sh*t the bed, I'll be ordering a yellowtop

I bought a Red Top, got it home, and it was dead, charged it for weeks, with no charge whatsoever. I am never going to buy another Optima. I have talked to other hardcore wheelers, and they have suggested everything but Optima.

Geez... this isn't so nice to hear! I just put a red top in a couple of months ago thinking it was the best maintenace-free dependability move I could make. The sucker just barely fit the battery tray and I had to modify the hold-down bracket a bit to make it absolutely secure. It has worked out awesome so far, but now I'm back to sweatin' it, I guess... Damn!... (lol)

Back