• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start when cold

sassyspapa

NAXJA Forum User
My ride is a 89XJ with the 4.0. I had a throttle body cable sticking problem, but I have eliminated that by lubrication. I also had a problem with the cable going to the transmission from the throttle body, but I've disconnected that. When I turned the key on to start position engine starts almost immediately. But then dies also almost immediately! The way that I get it to start and stay running is to start it several times. And then hold the key in the start position, and even though I know of the engine has started. I just keep cranking for quite awhile, and when I stop the engine seems to keep running.(Not real good, but it does keep running) Once I get it running, and it warms up a little. It runs like a top! Any suggestions would be a great help. By the way when I say cold start. I mean, even in a 50° heated garage. Although I live in Minnesota, and it was 4 below zero this morning, and the problem was the same not worse! Thanks again for any help!:patriot:

sassyspapa said:
My ride is a 89XJ with the 4.0. I had a throttle body cable sticking problem, but I have eliminated that by lubrication. I also had a problem with the cable going to the transmission from the throttle body, but I've disconnected that. When I turned the key on to start position engine starts almost immediately. But then dies also almost immediately! The way that I get it to start and stay running is to start it several times. And then hold the key in the start position, and even though I know of the engine has started. I just keep cranking for quite awhile, and when I stop the engine seems to keep running.(Not real good, but it does keep running) Once I get it running, and it warms up a little. It runs like a top! Any suggestions would be a great help. By the way when I say cold start. I mean, even in a 50° heated garage. Although I live in Minnesota, and it was 4 below zero this morning, and the problem was the same not worse! Thanks again for any help!:patriot:
You know you shouldn't drive around with the TV cable disconnected right? It can do serious damage to the transmission, if it would even drive. On your problem I would either say plugs,wires,cap/rotor or a sensor of some flavor. Perhaps even a fuel filter or pump. Start by checking fuel pressure at the rail and testing your sensors, that's all free stuff. You could also try pulling the vac line from the side of the EGR valve to see if thats the problem. Good luck.
-Collin

Back