• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Lift

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a silly noob question, but here it goes!!

I am thinking about a 3" lift.

I want to keep the stock shocks for now and just get the front and rear springs. Is that possible? the reason why is because I can't afford the whole kit at once. that way I can get a pretty decent set of shocks down the road. Maybe some KYB or Bilsteins.

I don't really know what the quality of the shocks that come with the kits are like.

I was thinking of getting either Rusty's or RE front/rear springs. Anybody have any thoughts?

i have RE 4.5" leafs in the rear of my cherokee and i love them. they are great. nice and sturdy. i had add a leafs in before and those were trash. what ever lift you go with, dont get an add a leaf

yeah u can

NAXJA long nuts and threaded studs go to home depot i was in the same boat as u and the nuts are 3" long and a stud tighten up on ur shocks and use a nut on top like normal

I would save until you can do it all at once. Do it once instead of doing it over and over. I was in the same boat. I had the Rough Country 3" kit when it first came out in JCWhitney. I immediately changed the short AAL for Rustys AAL. After 2 years I added spacers in the front and a 1" block in the back. I had 4" all around. I also used the stud extension on the front shocks. I got a set of used Adjustable control arms and a tracbar bracket. It wheeled fin then I got some 33's so I cut it up and added TJ Flares. I then decided it needed to grow again and got some 6" rockKrawler front springs and 2" Shakles, adjustable tracbar and bracket and drop pitman arm. I have a set of BDS front shocks and a set of shocks off a Ford Edge pick up. I still have that AAl and it hasn't sagged. I am now getting ready to put in Full width 44 and 9" so it is going to grow. Only this will be the last time. I have a SYE for this growth spurt and will get my front Shaft lengthened and get a new rear. So to asnwer your question yes you can get just the springs and run the stock length shocks however you have to be careful with flex. Don't forget to address the brakelines. The front you can straighten the hard line and the back you can get a longer one from a dakota or something else(Ican't remember what I used) or use a bracket and staighten the hard line. HTH

3" will leave very little room for your shocks to move for potholes/speedbumps and be a pain when you hit the rocks offroad.

my thought on lifts, is save up and do it right the first time... I had a few foolish ideas, and (over time) bought shackles, AALs and coil spacers thinking that I'd do a BB and be happy for a while. Fortunately, I thought better of it, sold most of it, and started piecing together what I needed for an RE 3.5" kit (which was installed on Saturday!). I still have to order an adjustable trackbar, though. That's one thing I thought I could skimp on by redrilling the mount for the stock bar. once I saw how little metal there was to drill, I changed my mind.

Ok.....Can I go the other way around and get the shocks then install the springs later? Or maybe it's better to just buy the different components one at a time then install at the same time.

BTW: what is the best spring and shocks to go for?

I really don’t think your shocks would like that very much. Best to wait till you have the whole thing. They would bottom out too easy and I have seen pix of rear shock mounts that had been ripped of the axle housing because of it. If you do either one with out the other go for the springs first. With out longer shocks the stock ones will act like a limiting strap. That will tare them up as well if ran too long like that. Auto Zone part # 81823 (93 Ford Explorer rear) $14.99 for the rear and 81440 for the front (vehicle unknown) $13.99. For the front shocks you will have to either use bar pen eliminators which you can make out of the mounting brackets for the rear sway bar (most peeps disconnect that thing anyway) http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Rear_BPEs.htm or press the bar pen out of the old shock with a big socket and a vice and press it into the eye of the new shock. Because I have to keep the rear sway bar intact to keep the local inspectors happy, I reused the bar pen from the old shock on mine. This pic shows mine with the bar pen from the old shock.
000_0559.jpg

Back