• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats involed in swapin 4 cyclinder to 6 cyclinder in 89 wrangler

mud4x4lover

NAXJA Forum User
anyone swaped out the 4 banger for 4.0 6 in a 89 wrangler? the motor is out of a 89 xj 6 cyclinder 4.0.
? will it bolt up to same motor mounts?
wireing problems?
whats involed?

There's a lot more work involved than you think.

The mounts SHOULD work, though i'd change them out anyway, because it's probably time for new ones.

The wiring is going to be the biggest part of your headaches though.... You'll need the complete engine harness out of the XJ, and if you plan on running an AW4, then you need to wire up the tranny as well.. But if it's a manual, then that's one less step.

It's a pretty big job, and i'll tell you right now, that swapping in a crate 350 would be cheaper and easier... Though I hate to say it.

:patriot:alot u have to cut the firewall and its alot ezer to do a v6 or v8 swap because the v engins are shorter than the long block cant spell to good but i no what im talking about

jeep8796 said:
:patriot:alot u have to cut the firewall and its alot ezer to do a v6 or v8 swap because the v engins are shorter than the long block cant spell to good but i no what im talking about

What? You don't have to cut the firewall.

The wiring would be a pain, and you would need to grab the transmission from the 4.0. For the same work you could swap in a Ford, AMC or Chev V8. I would only swap in a 4.0 if you got the whole setup for real cheap .

i have the 89 xj i sold it to my buddy he has a 89 wrangler he is going to use the xjs's motoor aw4 trans and the 231 one and get rid of his 2.5
Gaius said:
What? You don't have to cut the firewall.

The wiring would be a pain, and you would need to grab the transmission from the 4.0. For the same work you could swap in a Ford, AMC or Chev V8. I would only swap in a 4.0 if you got the whole setup for real cheap .

Back