• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shocks now too short.

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I started with a procomp lift and added an additional 3" to the rear for a total of 5" just before winter and I had no problem with the rear shocks, so I just installed 4 degree shims too compliment my sye and cv shaft so I could go on a long distance trip *tonight* vibe free,But I can barely get the shocks back on (they are at there limit, would it be ill advised to go ahead and make my trip?) If I rock the jeep by pushing on it it looks as if the tires want to lift. I didn't thing changing the pinion angle would make that huge off a difference. The left rear shock is maxxed the right rear is ok.

time to relocate them to the axle tubes.....or buy new shocks.

heres a quick band-aid you can do if you dont want to get new shocks right away.
stm03_lrg.jpg

here's the link to his site.

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

BlueCuda, How is a good way to move them to the axle tube? Good idea one less thing to catch the rocks with.

bcmaxx said:
BlueCuda, How is a good way to move them to the axle tube? Good idea one less thing to catch the rocks with.
Take a spring perch cut it in half and weld a shock stud to it. They conform perfect around the tube. E-mail me and I'll send you a pic prior to paint and shock being mounted if you are interested. [email protected]
Raised.jpg

Last edited:
bcmaxx said:

I always just cut off the stock shock mounts, use something to mark a 3" radius on the mounts, cut them down with a torch, grind it smooth a little, and weld them back on. Not a big job, and you get more ground clearance.

What they said :). Just recently did that on a friends jeep who had the same problem as you.

Take a good look at mine compared to Boise's pic.They are not only moved up,but also out.That provides better mount protection and allows for more shock travel with out bottoming out!
shock%20mount.jpg

RCP Phx said:
Take a good look at mine compared to Boise's pic.They are not only moved up,but also out.That provides better mount protection and allows for more shock travel with out bottoming out!
shock%20mount.jpg

Raised2.jpg

Mine won't bottom out because I had to bump stop it quite a bit to allow for 35s with a little less then 6" of lift. I do like that set up though. Do you have different angled pics of that ? I can't make out the attach point. I think as far out as yours are though my bump stop plate would be an issue. I already had to cut the corners off them.
Thanks !

Last edited:
Thanks for all the good advise, I went with the leaf spring perch cut in half and welded them to my housing, Cost me $5.22 plus a half hour and a six pack. Some times ya just don't think about the simple things. I was going to go out and buy new shocks to replace my almost new shocks.

Back