• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid Plate Paint ?

i used engine paint on the diff covers, and the cheapist big lots spray paint for the skid plates. Skids dont really matter, cause you are going to drag them in the rocks, and pull off even powder coat.

I have had my gas skid on for quite a while now and beat it on the rocks alot, and the big lots $2.00 a can stuff is still sticking.

I'm fond of spray can truck bedliner. Like the stuff from Duplicolor. Its not gonna hold up on real rocks hitting against it but can hold up against some mild abuse.

well, so far those are the responses i thought i'd get. i figured cheaper was best so they can just be touched up. just thought i'd see if there was something special folks were using. pretty tough for anything to hold up when its pinched between a rock and 4K pounds.

I like the flat black ace rust stop or rust-oleum. These are pretty much the same and seem to bond really good which can explain for the long amount of time they take to set up 2-4 hrs and not supposed to handle until after 6 hrs. I haven't gone wrong with it and like I said its pretty damn durable stuff.

Rattle can, its gonna lose to a rock so might as well make it cheap to touch up.

hammerite or however you spell it, is good stuff

i just had a bumper painted with some 2-part epoxy paint, and i am really impressed with it(besides the mistakes the painter made), it looks really good and seems like it would take a beating (i would say second only to powdercoat) especially since i watched the painter use it and it goes on really thick. i think it would be really good for a skid pan also because it has alot of give to it so if the skid plate bends any the paints isn't going to crack

the only problem it is kind of expensive-$100 a gallon for the paint and plus the cost of the activator, but you shouldn't need more than a quart

i am building a cj-5 currently and when i get done with all the framework i am definently going to use the epoxy paint to paint the frame as it is still a hell of alot cheaper than powdercoat

I've seen guys use this plastic stuff on top of their metal that allows them to slide over rocks.

I went down to the TSC and got some semi gloss implement paint.
It goes on thick, self levels in the big gouges in my rock rails.
cheap is the key, rocks pwn paint.

We used to use this stuff called DuPont Imron on all of our RC boats, because it would stand up to nitro metahnol fuel. It's actually made for heavy duty industrial vehicles (I was just reading an artcile about Mack Trucks switching to it). I haven't used it on any of recent, but if you want some hard core stuff to use that might be something to look at.

Personally though, I would stick to a rattle can, as no matter what you use it's gonna get scratched up. Plus I seem to remeber the Imron being expensive.

I used the best rattlecan you could get for $1.99...it is a skidplate, after all :)

Jeff

skid.jpg

Back