• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" lift with Moabs -- what tire size?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Got a set of Moabs [with worn Rubi MT/R's] and 2" lift coils & AALs. Nothing is installed yet.

Will the 245/75R16's fit with no fender rubbing?

I'd prefer to use 255/70R16 when I buy new tires; will I rub the LCA's?

[I originally posted this in OE Tech after finding a thread in a search and adding to it . . . didn't realize it was OE Tech until after . . . sorry for the double-post!] :nono:

no, We currently have 3" of lift in the front and about 4" in the rear of our Shop XJ. The front barely fits, runs often on the road going over bumps ect. We bought some 3/4" spacers to even it out, and should be fine with that. But you will need about 3.5" of lift to fit stock rubi's.

If you don't mind what did ya pay for the wheels and tires? I've seen guys use only 2" lift w/ the rubi wheels but you will have slight rubbing issues!

Man, I'm confused. I see pics of "stock" XJ's with Moabs, and It's pretty much accepted that a stock XJ can take a 30" tire with a 1.75" BB . . . so why not 30" tires on Moabs with 2" of lift?

I'll run a 245/70 or a 255/70 to get an extra half inch clearance.

[PS - about $600, with mostly worn MT/R's off a Rubicon]

dude, just put them on, and see what happens, be gentle with it, see if it works for you. There are far TOO many opinions on what tires will fit with how much lift. I think it would fit, a 30" tire with 2"s of lift. I am running 3"s with 31"s.... If anything the backspacing will help you next to my stock limited wheels, I rub alittle at steering lock.

Good luck with it

I have 2000 with the 2" BB from daystar and am running 265/75-16's (Bridgestone Dueler AT's) on the Jeep Icon wheels. It DOES rub the lca at full turn but you get use to it and just don't turn it that far. The fenders look stuffed but looks pretty good imho. If you wheel offroad tho you could easily rub your fenders

most tires don't measure there true size. Like a 31"will be 29.5", my 36" SX's measure 34.75". You can always bolt them on and try, but on our 99' with sagging 3" coils, we still have the tires rub when hitting speed bumps and pot holes driving it around town.

Try them and see. It's all in the back spacing. My brother put 235-75r15 on a set of after market wheels and rubbed the front fenders because they stuck out too far so it got a 2" BB. I always ran 235-75r15 on my stock wheels no problem. Now I have got a 2" bb in my 97 with stock 16 in alum wheels off a 2000 classic with 245-75r16 they only rub a little on lca at fill turn in one direction. Next up is 4" mix and match lift kit with same wheels and 265-75r16s.
Differences in tire diameter vary between manufactures and wheel width. From what I've seen the typical 245-75-16 should be about 30.75 inches tall. The 265-75-16 should be about 31.9 in tall. 31x10.5s are always a little shorter than 31 inches usually about 30.5 inches.
According to the kelley springfield web site tire diameter will decrease BY .2 inches for every .5 inch of increase in wheel width.

cklaus said:
I have 2000 with the 2" BB from daystar and am running 265/75-16's (Bridgestone Dueler AT's) on the Jeep Icon wheels. It DOES rub the lca at full turn but you get use to it and just don't turn it that far. The fenders look stuffed but looks pretty good imho. If you wheel offroad tho you could easily rub your fenders

You gotta remember that the moabs have less backspacing(4.5 I belive) so rubbing on the lca's really isn't an issue.

I run 31's on stock with a some rubbing at full lock and a little while flexing....You will be fine with the 245/75/16's

Thanks for the replies everybody. [and yes, there ARE too many opinions on what tires will fit with what lift!] This all sounds promising, though.

Sooooo . . . specifically, I'll have no prob with 255/70R16 MT/R's? !!!1

Back