• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR tube question....

Brett M

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Cherokee 4.0, just to start. Question is if any of you know the thread size of the tube where it connects with the intake manifold? I've already got a plug in the exhaust manifold, so that's taken care of, but I don't know what size the intake side is. Hell, if you could just tell me it's the same as the one on the exhaust, that'd be helpful too. I could then just pull that one and get another like it. Just need to get it sealed off (forgot about it for about a month :shiver: )

Anyone got the answer? :)

pretty sure they're the same. I cut the tube, pinched it and welded it together (not paying attention to what went where) all threaded back together fine.

Samuryan said:
pretty sure they're the same. I cut the tube, pinched it and welded it together (not paying attention to what went where) all threaded back together fine.

That's what I am thinking too, since I recall them looking to be the same size. Other question to you all would be, what'd you do with the vacuum line running from it and also the sensor dealy on the left fender?

Remove the vacuum signal line; and put a cap on the solenoid, over the port where the line was (not where the "filter" was.)

Alternatively, follow the single line out the base of the solenoid, remove the line there, and cap it on the "tree" at the intake manifold.

5-90 said:
Remove the vacuum signal line; and put a cap on the solenoid, over the port where the line was (not where the "filter" was.)

Alternatively, follow the single line out the base of the solenoid, remove the line there, and cap it on the "tree" at the intake manifold.

Easy enough....do I even need the sensor anymore on the fender?

dadilius said:
Easy enough....do I even need the sensor anymore on the fender?

It's not a "sensor" - it's a "solenoid." More of a "switch" that is controlled by the ECU (think "relay," and you're on the right track. It's just in this case, instead of using a small electrical signal to trigger a larger one, it's using a small electrical signal to trigger a vacuum signal.)

No, you don't need it, once you cap the lines off at the tree. I'd keep it though - just leave the vacuum lines disconnected, and let the ECU drive it anyhow.

5-90 said:
It's not a "sensor" - it's a "solenoid." More of a "switch" that is controlled by the ECU (think "relay," and you're on the right track. It's just in this case, instead of using a small electrical signal to trigger a larger one, it's using a small electrical signal to trigger a vacuum signal.)

No, you don't need it, once you cap the lines off at the tree. I'd keep it though - just leave the vacuum lines disconnected, and let the ECU drive it anyhow.

Doesn't it also control evaporative canister purge?

Matthew Currie said:
Doesn't it also control evaporative canister purge?

Not that I recall. I'm not sure what does - and I honestly don't feel like looking it up right now (I spent last hour or so fighting with a router, but I think I'm back up to full Internet function now...)

Back