• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*Pictures* Misfire cyl. #3 injctor cover!

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so after reading and reading I found out that the common problem for the cyl. #3 misfire is "heat soak" on the injector.

Its a 2000 4.0 BTW. So I ordered the part that is supposed to cover the injector and protect it from heat soak. I got the parts in the mail yesterday so im about to put it on and have some questions.

I changed my plugs about 3K miles ago so I replaced the #3 plug again with a new one of the same kind just to be same.

Does it actually wrap AROUND the injector?
The "wrap" is much to long so do I cut it to size?
I really do not see how this is supposed to cure the problem. Also when it is doing its misfire thing the exhaust smells like paint thinner. I hope this cures the problem because the Jeep really runs like CRAP when its happening. A few good revs usually cures it though. I would just like it to not happen anymore. Thanks guys.:kissyou:

injector1.jpg

The above is a picture of cyl #3 injector

The BELOW picture is a picture of the "wrap" that I THINK goes around the injector itself.

injector2.jpg

fdsa487 said:
Does it actually wrap AROUND the injector?

Yes. See this post for the TSB procedure on installing the insulators.

I really do not see how this is supposed to cure the problem.

It basically acts as a heat shield between the head and injector. By not allowing the heat to soak through to the injector, the fuel it's trying to spray won't be vapourised before it hits the cylinder.

I hope this cures the problem because the Jeep really runs like CRAP when its happening. A few good revs usually cures it though. I would just like it to not happen anymore. Thanks guys.:kissyou:

The easiest way I've found of dealing with this problem is to not rev the engine at all while it's doing it. Start up and check the temperature gauge: chances are it's going to be above 210. Just let the Jeep idle until the gauge gets back down to 210 and it should clear itself. On a hot day it can take two or three minutes before this happens, but it beats introducing backfiring while the idle's lumpy.

casm said:
Yes. See this post for the TSB procedure on installing the insulators.

It basically acts as a heat shield between the head and injector. By not allowing the heat to soak through to the injector, the fuel it's trying to spray won't be vapourised before it hits the cylinder.

The easiest way I've found of dealing with this problem is to not rev the engine at all while it's doing it. Start up and check the temperature gauge: chances are it's going to be above 210. Just let the Jeep idle until the gauge gets back down to 210 and it should clear itself. On a hot day it can take two or three minutes before this happens, but it beats introducing backfiring while the idle's lumpy.

Thank you, casm.
:angel:

Back