• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thermostat gasket

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a t-stat gasket. Neither the zone or advance auto stock one, which leads me to believe most use rtv? It look like it calls for a rubber o ring style. Any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks

my advanced had one in stock. it was a typical flat paper(organic??) gasket and was under 2 dollars. my haynes manual says to use the paper gasket and to coat both sides with rtv IIRC. you could probably get away with only rtv if you clean both sides really well and let it cure but the gasket is cheap so if you can get your hands on one, i'd do it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just searched into 7 pages and found an entire thread on it. Go figure. I can't believe that a single big chain even napa does not stock the gasket. Between that and no spring in the lower radiator hose and no moulded heater hoses makes me want to open my own parts store.

I hate giving morons my money.
Thanks again.

I'm going down that road now. I have gone to AA, Autozone, Smyth, and NAPA and no one has the dang thing. Trying to get the damn bypass tube retrofitted as well. I thought our rigs were the most widely used vehicles on the road short of a explorer. Parts stores are seriously reducing there inventory which sucks. They can stock 190 dollar optimas but not a hose with a spring in it?

I made my own gasket with gasket paper... They should carry that at least.
If you have the old gasket to use as a template, just cut it out with a razor knife... Then ran a bead of rtv around the edges. No leaks.

nope. thats the housing gasket. it is supposed to be a oring type. not sure cuz i cant find one. also, a gremlin took one of my bolts for the tstat housing. the longer one. gonna post to the thread size/bolt size sticky.

damn. put on the water pump before connecting up the bypass tube. also, i'm wrong about the oring. i had a porsche 928 that used a oring behind the thermostat, and when i saw the picture at autozone i saw a oring for the cherokee. it was just a "generic cooling picture" not a specific one for the xj so now i feel like an idiot.

at any rate, don't forget to put the bypass tube on before the water pump.

Back