• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf springs after BB

jwalter04

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put a 1.5" budget boost on my 99 Cherokee Sport. After instalation I noticed that my leaf springs are pretty much flat. I'm not really looking to add any height or spend a lot of cash. Any suggestions?

It will still add a little height but getting new stock leaf springs is always a good option. My leafs on my 96 are flat and its horrible. either way check out quadratec they carry stock leafs so a good price as do some other places.

So if your not interested in adding any height, whats the problem with flat leaf springs?

They ride smoother than a leaf with a lot of arch, and you know whether your suspension is compressing or extending that the shackle is going to travel the same direction.

A flat leaf spring is actually the most ideal setup, but most of us overlook it as we cant use a flat leaf spring and get the lift we want without having some spring hangers way offest from the frame rails that would get hung up on everything.

I'm about to come into the same situation. BB installed... rear leaf sagging. So after some research what I am going to do is have the local spring co. respring my old pack and add a leaf to get the lift. It's going to run $130.00 plus hardware. I'm going to have them do the coils as well. That should put me just under 3". Anyway that's what I have planned for the next couple of weeks, I've got the 3" Rancho 5ooo shocks setting on the work bench already. Good luck! 90 Pioneer headed for a good trail/camping rig, not a rock climber.

It's going to run $130.00 plus hardware.

Wow, thats a lot of bones for such a simple process. I just spent $65 on buying some wrecking yard S-10 rear leaf springs to regain some lost lift and stiffen up the pack some and I thought I was getting hosed.

I know people around here are pretty anti-lift blocks, but you could put a 1/2" or 1" block in if it starts to sag too bad. These blocks are small enough that you won't really get most of the negative effects associated with lift blocks.

I have the 1.5" Teraflex BB which with spacers and stuff is probably closer to 2.5" now, but I bet a 1/2" block would be perfect to keep your rig level if it started to sag a bit.

I had the same problem after a 2" shackle lift in the rear. i pulled out the shackle and added the Rubicon express re1415 (2" adda leaf that goes UNDER the original leaf pack so you don't have to disassemble the leaf pack). When i got it the boxes all said ProComp on them so i guess the same kit is marketed for both. The ride was much nicer than Oem+shackle in my opinion and it lifted the rear above the old height with a shackle. http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=237&Pn=1732&XnPath=173,180,237&Vid=AC275B689284
If you look around you can find the springs b/w 50-75 bux shipped.

btw, the reason i went to a leaf instead of the shackle was not only the flat leaf, but because the longer shackle extended so far back it was rubbing on the bumper mount screws which caused squeeking when riding down the road. the original shackles and spring fixed that problem.

When said that I didn't want anymore I height I was referning to not being interested in getting a whole kit that included a set of springs. I have looked at Quadratec and am leaning towards getting a pair of original equip springs (about $70) each. I have also heard about a new fiberglass unispring that is out there. Also, my extended shackles do rub on the mounting bolt for my bumper. I thought it was because i have a 2-door model cherokee and I assumed that most kits are designed around the 4-door model. Its nice to know I'm not the only one though.

Your shackle issue has nothing to do with 2/4 doors. That is a common issue.

My suggestion for the leafs is to take the leaf packs apart and add 1 or maybe 2 other leafs. It will be trial and error to get the ride height that you want. Search for "$11 Bastard packs" and you will find some good info there. If you want to do it on the cheap, that is by far the cheapest way to go. I think you'd be pleased with the results too.

Hale

Last edited:
Back