• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Synthetic Winch Rope

Which Line

• Amstel 5/16

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Amstel 3/8

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Amstel 1/2

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • MP 5/16

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • MP 3/8

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • MP 1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
After hearing numerous horror stories during the past few wheeling seasons I think I am finally going to break down and buy synthetic line for the winch. I just want to get some feedback on what diameter is best for our size vehicles and what brands are better than others if any are. I'm gonna make a poll, but explain your choices if you could please. Right now I am going back and forth between Masterpull and Amstel in the 5/16, 3/8, or 1/2 variety.

Duke

2 years on Amsteel 3/8" w/out a problem.

Almost 3 years with the Amsteel Blue 3/8ths. I haven't had to use to often though, I think at most ten times. 3/8ths is plenty strong, roughly 20,000 lbs and 1/2 would be way overkill.

====================================
After hearing numerous horror stories during the past few wheeling seasons I think I am finally going to break down and buy synthetic line for the winch.
====================================
Switch if you like but remember a few thing about trail stories.

1. Most of them are bold faces lies.
2. They did NOT see it them self.
3. No ones head got cut off and NO that headless body is not standing behind you right now.
4. Luck with the rope.

Thanks for your concern, but I wasn't really talking about people getting killed kind of horror stories, just being stranded because of a broken steel cable. So for those of you that answered it's kind of looking like 3/8 is the diameter of choice huh.

Personally I wouldnt buy either of those. I would get the ORO trail line or equivelent due to its high heat resistance. If these are heat rated then my bad... Sure heat on the drum is only an issue when powering out under a high load and most people will never have to do that BUT if you do you sure dont want to worry about it.
That said about 5 of us last winter had to do 600+ ft of repelling down a very steep climb with zero traction(couldnt even climb up it in the tracks on foot) due to compacted snow/ice. This required several full pulls with nothing holding the jeep but the winch line. All of us were running the standard steel cable which had steam rolling off of it due to the high heat, I dont know the temp but it was very hot to the touch. Point being if any one of these cables would have failed there would have been several serious injuries and peice of mind in an instance like this one goes along way.

There are plenty of pros and cons between wire and rope. I like the lightness, strength and safety aspect of rope. While it may not last as long as wire, it is easier on one's hands than wire can be with broken strands cutting a palm open.

So really I can see why people are passionate about both. I would choose one and replace it liberally before fatigue makes it unsafe.

I have the ORO. I did not want to go cheep with something that I might need to save my life.

I have seen both snap a few times, my ORO still has not, but at least rope falls, cable can fly. Dead weight and some brains will help, but even still cable is not nearly as safe as rope.
The times I have seen the rope snap, we just tied a knot went back to winching. When the cable snapped we had to toss it out then work on a way to get the rig out.
Cable has spers and snags that can cut up your hands, kinks like crazy, and if you are smart every time you have a bad kink you should replace your cable.
With rope if you get stuck in the middle of a watter/mud hole you can pull out 30 feet on to your hood and toss the hook to a friend on shore with out scuffing up your paint.

Oh you save some weight with rope too :confused1

I would never get Amstel, NEVER! Just my ¢.02

well I just looked at ORO's website and I can only find 3/8, which would limit me to only being able to spool up 100 feet... From what I have read the warn m8000 will only spool 125 of 5/16 and 100 of 3/8... anybody know different?

I went with 5/16" Amsteel Blue because it's cheaper than 3/8" and should be strong enough for up to a 9500 lb winch.

I went with the 3/8" amsteel from rockstomper for my m8000. I did that over the 5/16" because it will be more abrasion resistant - as in it can take more abrasion and still have the necessary strength rating compared to a 5/16", and ultimately last longer. I have 95' spooled on my m8000 with a 10' abrasion gaurd and that's about all it'll hold. Remember you should replace your fairlead when you do this.

http://rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm

FWIW, Samson Rope (the makers of Amsteel) now produce a high temp synthetic line called Tec-12 similar to the Amsteel Blue (12 strand construction). Which can withstand a working temp of 450*, and a critcial or failure temp of something like 900*.

Take a look at winchline.com, they offer up winch lines made with Amsteel Blue, Tec-12, or a mix of the two (IE, your main line is Amsteel, with something like 20'-30' of Tec-12 to go around the drum).

When I replace my current Amsteel Blue 5/16" line (just cause it want to go 3/8" and get the orange rope instead), I'm prolly gonna go with what Winchline offers in the mixed line or get my father to set me up with one of thier souce for the cruise ships and do a group buy via ordering a spool.

The main reason I wont go MP is cause they ignored me at a trade show, whereas the Samson guys damn near ganged up to help me when I told them I wanted to inquire about using their rope on my Jeep. Trivial, I know, but customer support means alot to me. And since MP wasn't willing to answer a question, I figure I wans't willing to give them my money.

Last edited:
good thorough answer... I will check out winchline.com for sure... thanks for your input

I Like Masterpull. 5/16" MP Superline XD has a Tensile strength of 16500#'s compared to steel cable at 9800# while Amsteel Blue rates 12330#. instead of filling your drum with rope I suggest only putting on like about 50-80' on the drum and getting a winch extension. the rope on the drum will give you a stronger pull and if you need to, you can grab the extension for the long pull. Its lightweight so it will tuck nicely in back and if you screw up your mainline you can have a backup. If you break AS-B you need to do that little weave thing to loop it through your eyelet. the MP SL XD ties in a simply knot. Before long, I think steel cable will take a backseat to synth lines. As it is, steel cable isn't allowed in competition Rock crawling.

railroadjeep said:
FWIW, Samson Rope (the makers of Amsteel) now produce a high temp synthetic line called Tec-12 similar to the Amsteel Blue (12 strand construction). Which can withstand a working temp of 450*, and a critcial or failure temp of something like 900*.

Take a look at winchline.com, they offer up winch lines made with Amsteel Blue, Tec-12, or a mix of the two (IE, your main line is Amsteel, with something like 20'-30' of Tec-12 to go around the drum).

When I replace my current Amsteel Blue 5/16" line (just cause it want to go 3/8" and get the orange rope instead), I'm prolly gonna go with what Winchline offers in the mixed line or get my father to set me up with one of thier souce for the cruise ships and do a group buy via ordering a spool.

The main reason I wont go MP is cause they ignored me at a trade show, whereas the Samson guys damn near ganged up to help me when I told them I wanted to inquire about using their rope on my Jeep. Trivial, I know, but customer support means alot to me. And since MP wasn't willing to answer a question, I figure I wans't willing to give them my money.

You may also just drive north about 80 miles and pick it up factory direct. Both Samson and Masterpull are in Whatcom County.

shut up charlie, no one cares

I am a boatswain mate on a 210' coast guard cutter I work with different lines all the time, after years and years of wrestleing heavy wire bridles and super thick double braid nylon we are getting smart and switching to these new synthetic lines they are superior to wire rope and DBN in every aspect.
All these new winchlines are safe. snap back is greatly dimminished and weight reduction is outstanding. and the strength to size ratio is great.
People talk about the heat aspect, but does anyone realize that just putting a load on a line will get it pretty hot I have literaly smoked a 4 1/2 circumfrence DBN just putting a straight pull on it.
One thing I can tell you is these lines are strong as hell but sensative to abrasion, so its worth getting the chafe protection.

XJourney said:
You may also just drive north about 80 miles and pick it up factory direct. Both Samson and Masterpull are in Whatcom County.

Yup, IIRC thier both in/around the Bellingham or was it Ferndale area? Anywho, when I go work the Cherry Pt. Local and am assigned to Bellingham for a week, you can guess who's gonna get a visit (and who's not).

Back