• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket XJ crossmember/t-case skids

hysiderafter

NAXJA Member #1296
I know this is a tech related question. I've already read every thread I could find on this topic so I think I've heard what the masses have to say. I'm thinking of fabricating or buying something and I'm interested in hearing about first hand experience from people I know or at least have a connection with through our chapter. What have you tried or built and how well does it work? Thanks!

hysiderafter said:
I know this is a tech related question. I've already read every thread I could find on this topic so I think I've heard what the masses have to say. I'm thinking of fabricating or buying something and I'm interested in hearing about first hand experience from people I know or at least have a connection with through our chapter. What have you tried or built and how well does it work? Thanks!

I am cheap so I picked up a 2nd stock cross member from a pick a part. I mounted it about 1 ft behind the stock cross memeber (so that the rear driveshaft wouldn't hit it with both wheels off the ground). Then took a piece of channel that was wide enough the protect the trasfercase and put it between them (so it is mounted on the stock cross member and the new rear crossmember). Might have cast as much as $10 and took a few hours one evening to put together. It has held up fine with the type of driving I do. I think if I hammered it on the rocks it might need some strengthening;)

If I was to go to the effort of making a new one, I would probably consider purchasing the TNT belly pan or make something very similar to it.

Michael

2xtreme said:
If I was to go to the effort of making a new one, I would probably consider purchasing the TNT belly pan or make something very similar to it.
Until this week I would also have suggested the TnT, however I just bent mine so it now contacts the t-case. I'm not really sure exactly when it happened, but I know it was not that violent of an impact. I'm pretty dissapointed, to be honest. Hopefully they will warranty the pan, otherwise I might be looking into replacing it.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Until this week I would also have suggested the TnT, however I just bent mine so it now contacts the t-case. I'm not really sure exactly when it happened, but I know it was not that violent of an impact. I'm pretty dissapointed, to be honest. Hopefully they will warranty the pan, otherwise I might be looking into replacing it.

-----Matt-----

Wow...really?

interesting.

Let me know if they won't warranty it. We can probably repair/reinforce it. We have the technology!

IXNAYXJ said:

-----Matt-----

Related to the popping noise you were hearing last weekend, or separate incident ?

I've got pics of his crossmember I'll try and get up later, but /w a yardstick flat across the belly pan, it's got about 1/2" gap at the center. :shocked:

Under throttle I think it's allowing the transfer case to contact the floorboard. Like Matt said, he didn't recall any MAJOR impact and there's no deep gauges or any signs of a major impact.

J

The belly pan design relys alot on the strength of the plate instead of the structure running from frame-to-frame. Here's a pic of mine that I modified for use with an AX-15.
Trannyswap019.jpg

The belly plates designed for AX-15s have the trans mount running front to back IIRC, slightly different than mine. You can see in the picture that there's not much for structural braces running across. I definately think you could bend it if you hit it right. It's a good compact design that allows for more ground clearance, but as Matt found out, you give up some strength. I'm sure it could be repaired and reinforced if you wanted to keep using it.

Megawatt said:
Let me know if they won't warranty it. We can probably repair/reinforce it. We have the technology!
Thanks, I might just take you up on that.

Yeah, the fact that it bent is kinda worrysome to me. I'm not as smitten with the TnT kit as I once was, and John will never let me live down not getting the Clayton's kit. :rolleyes:

Ryan; the popping/clunking noise was just the LA's working their way loose (again).

-----Matt-----

oh yeah the one in the pic is the tnt sorry for the mix up i was directing my question to the guy that built one with another crossmeber from the junk yard in the earlier part of the thread - from 2xtreme

aparke4 said:
oh yeah the one in the pic is the tnt sorry for the mix up i was directing my question to the guy that built one with another crossmeber from the junk yard in the earlier part of the thread - from 2xtreme

I don't have any photos on the computer with it, and I am not sure that a photo would show much.
I just got a second stock cross member and mounted it as far back as I could (and not get in the way of the driveshaft at full droop. I can't remember if there were already mounting holes or if I had to make my own). Then mounted a piece of channel "C" between the two so that the transfer case fits between the "C" channel (it is probably about 3"x 12" or there abouts).

Michael

great thanks i am just looking for some skid ideas (cheap) because i dont have much protection under there... thanks i will search my local pull a part

hysiderafter said:
I beleave mine is a Tomkin I bought from Central 4 Wheel 5 years ago. It has crossbraces that bolt to the front seatbelt bolts and to the frame rail and covers the transfer case and center of the rig and has been exposed to some hard knocks and has held up well . I`m happy with it. I have found only 1 problem with it`s mounting to the cross member, it clamps the lip with a plate and 2 bolts , but hasn`t come loose yet.

Back