• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making an MT/R better in mud

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
We're trying to get a buddy's mtr's to work better in the soft stuff. I've read that mtr's suck in the mud due to having less tread voids than say a BFG or a TSL. Would increasing the size of the voids help the self cleaning properties? Not so much grooving across the blocks but triming the outside of the blocks down some?

There is one offroad site in this country with semi large rocks so that's not really a concern.

I've read about siping and grooving to help the tire stick to the hard stuff but the mtr does that fine already. What about grooving for the soft stuff?? Anyone tried it??

Thanks

Besides letting a lot of air out, not much. They just aren't a mud tire. If mud is your thing get some swampers or Maxis.

Rob $.02

mtr = mud trapping radial

there the best tire out here in cali for the rocks but i agree w/ FELIX if you want mud tires get some swampers

nickangus said:
mtr = mud trapping radial

there the best tire out here in cali for the rocks but i agree w/ FELIX if you want mud tires get some swampers

x2 if mud is what your all about then, knifing the mtr will only make them unsellable. sell them, and gets some supper swamper's!

Flash.

they suck in almost anything wet from what i have found. I have not grooved mine, so i dont know if that would help, but at the rate i have worn mine out, i dont know that i will be getting any more anyway. I do way too much road driving.

vetteboy said:
Clever... :)

maximum traction / reinforced if you're being literal.

i know what MTR stands for i just felt like changing it

might try becomeing a member before you go tring to burn people

just a thought.....

I live in Oregon and I have these on my Grand. They work well on loamy soils, like we have on the coast here. They are likely stinkbug in soil with any degree of clay, though. I also must comment on the cranky responses I keep seeing from "members" or "non-members". People, don't take yourselves or your Jeep so seriously! Everone is allowed to have their opinion and it may not always be correct, but this ain't life or death. If some of you know more than others of us from ACTUAL experience, then it's worth the info if money bein' spent is concerned. Otherwise, it's just personal preferrences. I like ANYTHING with an engine!!! I'd drive a lifted, locked shopping cart if it was fun! Let's be considerate of one another and help the Jeep community enjoy the hobby. Thanks.

nickangus said:
i know what MTR stands for i just felt like changing it

might try becomeing a member before you go tring to burn people

just a thought.....

Hey, how about you learn to spell, before telling someone to become a member.

Don't assume (which makes an ass out of you) that he was trying to burn you.

And what does being a member have to do with knowing what MT/R stands for? Stop giving the rest of us members a bad name by acting like a fool!

Trailbst said:
Hey, how about you learn to spell, before telling someone to become a member.

Don't assume (which makes an ass out of you) that he was trying to burn you.

And what does being a member have to do with knowing what MT/R stands for? Stop giving the rest of us members a bad name by acting like a fool!

New Mental Note:

Not all "members" are cranky, just a select few. I shouldnt have assumed all "members" were and have been proven that by the response of this "member"

ANYWAY, so back to MT/R's. The tires he bought were so cheap that they couldn't be passed up. We can't get swampers and mud tires over here without paying 3 times what there worth.

Why is it that a BFG MT is better than a MTR in the mud? I have a hard time buying that the mt has a better tread pattern than the mtr for mud. I believe it has to do with the voids.

Has no on done this to an mtr?? We may have to be the first!!

ponyracer1 said:
ANYWAY, so back to MT/R's. ... I believe it has to do with the voids ... We may have to be the first!!

I say go for it. People sipe tires to improve their handling all the time. Many competition tires are purchased as blanks so people can "cut" their prefered tread pattern. I say if you are willing to experiment with these tires, do it ... you may find a way to at least improve an already great tire. Good luck ... and post up your results.

Les

I've had my 32- 11.5 mtr's for over a year. well over 60% tread left and its my D.D. I've never had any problems in this oregon mud at around 12 psi. In my opinion I like them a lot better than my old bfg mt's. Oh.. I only drive 20 miles round trip to work. anything else its the wifes car. but anythings worth trying once.. twice if you like it!

ponyracer1, I am fairly certain that siped tires are illegal for street use in the UK although I haven't found the particular piece of legislation myself yet.

I am certain that a tire mod would not go down well with a British motor insurance company in the event of a road traffic accident.

Has your buddy considered trying Simex or one of the various lookalikes? These are popular with the challenge trucks for mud clearing ability but are really awful on the street.
http://www.devon4x4.com/shop.php?mode=productview&product=64

Ya I've seen those, nice looking but these are bought and paid for. We all have a US insurance carrier so thats not a concern.

We're not looking at siping, from what I've read that helps on hard terrain such as rocks and ice.

I'm talking about simply enlarging the tread voids by taking an 1/8 to 1/4 off the leading edge of all the lugs, center and side. Maybe enlarge the line that runs between the main lugs in the center. The MTR has ALOT of lugs and not much for voids, so that would explain why they pack up so fast in soft terrain/mud.

Back